Chapter Thirty Five: My Dumb Brain

It had been almost two hours since Landon and Dylan left. To say I felt guilty was an understatement. If only I didn't open my big mouth, I could've been having fun with the guys right now, instead of awkwardly being introduced to Landon's parents' friends by Lisa.

"Where's Landon honey? We're about to serve dinner." Carlos asks his wife.

"I think we should start without him. He'll join us when he's ready." Yep, there's the pang of guilt again.

___

How is it that I'm awkwardly seated between Carlos and Dylan whilst facing Landon? Seriously, who chose this seating plan?

I dare not to look up from my plate, knowing Landon's gaze is fixed on me. Suddenly not feeling very hungry anymore, I push around the peas in my plate with the fork I'm holding.

"So Landon, how's basketball going?" A man Lisa introduced me to asks. I think it was her brother actually.

"Great as usual, Uncle Sam." He answers in a bored tone. How is it that his family doesn't see the lack of passion he has for basketball? When Landon talks about music, his eyes light up and he could go hours explaining the history behind even a guitar string.

"You're not slacking, are you? The game that's coming up that's your make it or break it son." His aunt Helen now asks.

"I'm not slacking."

Uncle Sam continues. "Are you sure? Being back at high school after boarding sc-"

"IM NOT FUCKING SLACKING OKAY?" The room goes eerily silent. I'm surprised Landon managed to hold out that long.

I look around at everyone staring into their plates, not wanting to say anything to anger him further.

"Um if I may?" I manage to squeak out. Everyone's attention now turns to me. Lisa nods, ushering me to speak.

I turn to Aunt Helen and Uncle Sam. "Landon's working really hard. I mean with our finals coming up and the basketball game, it's hard to balance all that but he's doing amazing."

"He even kicked me out the top spot in our Chemistry class, which by the way I will take back." I glance at Landon who's smiling to himself.

"What I'm trying to say is your nephew is awesome and he'll be giving 110% in that basketball game, like he does with everything else." I finish. I don't know where that came from, but I meant every word.

"Now you are quite the catch aren't you? Landon's very lucky to have you." Uncle Sam smiles at me.

"Oh we're not together or anyt-"

Aunt Helen leans over to me. "But you will be."

____

As I help Lisa clear the table, I hear footsteps behind me. I turn to see Landon giving me a small smile.

"Can we ta-" We both say in unison.

"You first."

"No you first." Landon counteracts.

"I insist."

"Gem, you're the girl go first."

"This is sexism! Do you know that in 1841-"

"Oh my god, you're so annoying!" He exclaims.

"No, you are!"

Dylan wanders in, shaking his head at us. "Can you to go five seconds without arguing?"