26. Mission Failed, We'll Get 'Em Next Time

Felicia proved to be a rather hard subject. Apparently, she didn't tell her friends much, but to be honest, I could imagine why she didn't trust them. They'd all probably turn their backs on her once they didn't need her anymore. So it wasn't easy to find information on her. Even Gilbert, who tried taking a different approach by listening to the boy gossip in the locker rooms after PE, found nothing. I wasn't even aware boy gossip was a thing, but Gilbert assured me it wasn't much else than 'she's hot'.

But eventually, after days of lurking around inconspicuously, I had something, and oh it was good. It was perfect. It was the most scandalous thing I could have ever walked into. Fucking bingo.

And now it was finally time for the next move.

Step Two: Devise a Course Of Action.

I knew the most effective way to confront Felicia was to do it publicly, but I had sworn not to do so, so I had to find another way to get her to listen, unfortunately. I had to set up a private meeting with her somehow. I had to speak to her alone.

But she wasn't going to hang out with me after school if I asked her to. I was pretty sure she disliked me as much as I disliked her and she'd probably think something was up. And she'd be right. I'd hate to admit it, but the barbie doll was actually pretty smart.

Perhaps I could trick her, though...

Yes.

I grabbed my phone and dialed Gilbert's name.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Are you, perchance, up for... a fake date?"

"A fake— Um, is this part of your mission?"

"It sure is. I want you to text Felicia that you'll go out with her tomorrow. Make her come to, uh... the Starbucks in the mall across town. That should be far away enough. I'll take care of the rest."

He sighed, but after a moment, he agreed. We were lucky she'd already given Gilbert her number. The only reason he had it was because she'd somehow manipulated things into getting him as her partner for a school project. He typed out his message, read it to me and pressed send.

A few minutes later, we got our reply.

She said yes.

Step Three: Execute.

I had to admit she looked cute, sitting there at the little round table in Starbucks. She had on some nice clothes and her hair was pulled back into a neat ponytail and she daintily sipped from her coffee like a lady, waiting for her gentleman. She was fairly attractive in her own right. If she weren't so mean and unfaithful, she wouldn't have any trouble getting with a nice guy. If...

When I sat down across from her, her eyes went so wide I was sure her eyeballs would pop out. "What are you doing here?"

"Hello, Felicia, good day to you too. I think I should be the one asking you why you're here, though. Especially when you know that Gilbert is my boyfriend." I folded my arms and looked at her while she pursed her lips and put her coffee down with a scowl.

"He said to meet me here."

"I told him to send that message."

She shook her head, as if she couldn't believe what I was saying was true, and then demanded, "Why would you do that?"

"Look, Felicia, you can date whoever you want. Ryan, Amir, or, you know... your little brother's best friend..."

Her eyes went even wider than ever before. Oh, yes, I'd seen her kissing her brother's friend, dear little Ash. They were in an abandoned hallway at the time, probably thinking nobody was looking, but I was there. I'd uncovered her big secret.

"...but what I don't get is why you just can't leave Gilbert alone when you already have someone. He's not even interested and I doubt your brother would be happy if he found out you've been using his best friend while going after another guy."

Feeling the vibe, I reached for her coffee to take a sip from it, but she didn't notice, because she could only glare me daggers and spit at me through gritted teeth, "Are you blackmailing me?"

"Nah, I'm not that immature. I just came here to... open your eyes, I suppose. I'm not telling anyone. If anyone would fuck this up, it'd be you, yourself, all on your own. You don't need my help."

With that, she started squinting at me. She must be thinking I'd tell everyone the moment she turned her back—more importantly, her brother—but I wouldn't. It wasn't necessary. Just the fact that I knew would keep her in line. And I was hoping my little message would make her see that what she was doing was wrong, too.

"Let's take a trip down memory lane, Felicia, shall we? Remember when you cornered me in the hallway in school? You came to warn me to stay away from Gilbert. I'm not sure why you thought that was justified, because you and I both know that only I have the right to tell you to stay away from him, since he's dating me—not you. So here's the deal, Felicia. It's very simple. Stop bothering him. He's not amused by it either."

"Jesus Christ," she muttered. "Whatever. You can have him. Just don't tell anyone about me and Ash."

"I don't think you have any grounds to make demands, but I promise I won't. Like I said, there's no need for me to tell anyone."

When she didn't reply, I knew she understood, so I nodded and smiled. She rolled her eyes at my smug expression and went for her coffee, only to realize that it wasn't on her side of the table anymore. She reached across the table with a sigh and said, "Not that immature, huh?"

I shrugged.

"I must admit I'm impressed, though. I didn't know you were such a... formidable opponent."

Another shrug.

"We could have been great friends."

"Yeah, that's never gonna happen," I laughed, before getting up and walking out of the café.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯