Cass Novak

As Keigen walks down the road she can practically see the steam rises off of the pavement in front of her. It's 2021 and only a year ago the zombie virus broke out. Keigen was away from home when it started and now is on her way to Oklahoma to find her brother. If he is even still there. She sees a zombie up ahead and as she reaches it she unsheathes her weapon and cuts the head clean off.

The rotten corpse lies there on the ground the head still making a fuss. She crouches down next to it, she looks at it pinching her nose, still not used to the awful decaying smell. She imagined the zombie when it was alive and had a family. Too bad this was its fate. She brushes her shoulder length black hair out of her face as she stands up. She continued to walk but stops hearing quiet footsteps not far behind her. She tightens her grip and the blade and swings around. To her surprise it's a human and not a zombie. The man couldn't be any older than twenty, as she is eighteen. Keigen grimaces at the man as he whips out his gun.

"Why are you following me?" She asks, remembering that not even a month ago she had found a woman dead on the side of the road obviously raped then murdered.

"Look I don't want any more trouble than you do. I just stumbled onto this road about ten minutes ago and saw you up ahead kill a flesh eater and decided to introduce myself. I thought maybe you could be a potential ally." He says giving a weary look. Keigen keeps her machete up ready to swing if needed.

"What's your name?" She asks him.

"Cass Novak. And yours?" He asks her putting away his gun. She lowers her blade but keeps it in her hand still a little weary.

"Keigen Alexander." She says giving him an odd look.

"So where are you headed Keigen?" He asks her squinting his eyes down the road.

"To Oklahoma." She says not very eager to speak to the man she just met. She man flips his short brown hair out of his face revealing beautiful blue eyes. He acts as if the longer hair is new, which possibly is since there aren't exactly barber shops out here. She turns and continues down the road with him following her behind. He catches up to her and starts walking next to her.

"So Oklahoma huh?"

"Yea."

"I'm just trying to stay alive basically. No real purpose out here."

"What about your family?" She asks him with the machete still in hand.

"Oh them. Well I was with them when it all went down they all died when our uncle turned into a flesh eater. I was the only one to make it out of the house. It was a family reunion."

"Oh, well I'm sorry I asked." She says looking at him.

"Nah, so why don't I help you get to Oklahoma? Might give me a purpose." He says smiling at her.

"Um sure. But I don't trust that easily so don't try anything."

———

Keigen POV

In the evening we make it to a small town and find a quiet house. I open the door quietly and give a whistle. After a moments of no sound I wave for Cass to follow me. We quietly scout the house with no sign of the living dead we decide to camp out in the living room. We grab all the blankets and pillows and make separate beds on the floor. We put blankets up over the windows and turn on a small lamp I have in my backpack.

"So Keigen, why are you going to Oklahoma?" He asks me while I am trying to sleep.

"That is none of your business Cass. Keep to your own."

"Well if I'm going to help you get there I might as well know why we are going there." He says back to me. I sit up and stare at him in the low light of the lamp.

"Look we just met not even hours ago. You decided to tag along. That does not inquire me to tell you why I'm going there. Maybe some other time. For now I'm going to sleep you get first watch. Wake me up when you get tired." I say and dose off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- sorry the first chapter was a bit boring I just wanted to introduce the main characters and get a few facts out there. Second chapter coming soon!