chapter 16

Toni stood in front of the trailer her uncle resided on. She set aside her helmet on the seat of her motorcycle and took a deep breath as she walked up the steps to the trailer. She felt her cuts and and bruises on her face once more before grabbing her key to unlock the door, letting herself in.

"Uncle James?" Toni called as she made her way to the living room.

Her uncle walked into the room with a bottle of whiskey in his hand. Toni took a quick look at him and rolled her eyes.

"What do you want, Toni?"

"I need you to transfer Asher to Riverdale High. Today." Toni demanded.

Her uncle chuckled softly.

"Now why would I do that? He's fine exactly where he's at. Why don't you just let me take care of my nephew?"

Toni looked at him and immediately grew agitated.

"YOU DONT CARE!" Toni finally yelled.

"I do care. I took care of you."

Toni looked up at her uncle and bit her lip as she tried to hold in a tear.

"No, Uncle James... You took care of YOU! You thought you could control me and do whatever you wanted. You only used me. You touched me." Toni stood tall as she yelled back at her uncle. She sniffed a bit as she took a breath for a moment. "You only needed me so that you could do whatever you want to me. You took away my innocence and that is UNFORGIVABLE! I have tolerated you only because you gave us a roof over me and Ash's head. I have tolerated you because you are family." She paused and walked straight up towards him. "But I'm done now. I'm done with your shit. This is me stepping up and telling you that I'm so done with you! Just get my brother transferred today. We'll leave you alone, you'll continue collecting our checks from foster care. Just leave us alone."

"And what if I don't?"

"And if you don't..." Toni paused and reaches in her pocket inside her jacket for her pocket knife, popping it out and pointing it towards him. "And if you don't, I will tell the police all about your sexual and physical abuse towards me and Asher." Her uncle backed up against the wall as Toni points the knife right on the skin of his neck. "Who do you think they'll believe? A trusted young serpent or a drunken middle-aged disgusting man who can't do anything or live for himself?" Toni pokes the blade of the knife into his skin making a small scratch already.

"Fine. I'll go today." Toni's uncle said breathlessly as Toni has him against the wall with a knife on his neck.

Toni let go of her uncle and pushed his drunken self on the floor with all her strength.

"Good."

Toni walked out of the trailer finding her brother laying against the door. Toni looked at him and rushed to her motorcycle.

"What are you doing here, Ash? I told you not to follow me and that I could protect myself."

Asher kept quiet as he stepped down from the steps and looked to his sister with eyes full of pity. Toni sighed and looked right back at him.

"How much did you hear, Ash?"

"All of it."

Toni sighed and turned back to her motorcycle and put on her helmet. Asher ran up to his sister, stopping her right before she got on her bike.