Chapter Fourty One: Ryan

Start from the beginning

"Are the rest of the team here yet?" I question.

"They should be here soon. You know how they are, always late."

"What about your sister?"

At this, Ryan's head whips towards me. "You always ask about her. You don't have a crush on her or something, do you?"

"What no!" I defend. "Sisters are off limits."

"Damn right they are. And no she's with her douchebag boyfriend like always."

The whole year we've been friends I've hardly ever seen Ryan's sister. Through the small glimpses I have caught of her, I know she's not gross like Ryan makes her out to be. She's far from it, but I'd never admit that to Ryan.

Plus she's dating a dude who's 18 and walks around carrying a guitar case all the damn time. Show off much? I mean she's a musician too so I can see why she's attracted to him.

Just from seeing her vinyl collection, which is almost identical to mine, I know I'd probably be good friends with Ryan's sister, if I was allowed to talk to her. Anyways, I highly doubt she knows I exist.

Shortly after, the rest of the team arrive. We order pizza and go over game plans for the big game tomorrow.

"Alright hands in team." I put my hand into our circle, the rest of the team following. "WHO'S GONNA WIN THIS GAME TOMORROW?"

"WE ARE, CAPTAIN."

"Then let's go kick some ass!"

***

Game day

I jog around the basketball court with the rest of the team, doing last minute warm ups. I look at the clock and furrow my eyebrows. Dammit, 30 minutes left and Ryan's still not here.

"Hey captain?" One of the team mates whispers in my ear.

I stop jogging. "Everything okay?"

"Ryan wants you in the locker room."

Relief washes over me. Thank fuck he's here. "I swear to god I'm gonna beat his ass..." I mumble, running to the locker room.

"Ryan where the hell have y- what the flippidy fuck is that!" I point to the needle in his hand.

He quickly places a hand over my mouth. "I got one for you too, don't worry."

I pull his hand away, glaring at him. "Are they steroids?!" I whisper yell.

"If we don't win our futures go down the drain. We can't lose this way. Its genius!" He hands me one.

"Ryan, we're not cheaters."

"Whatever, I'll just do it."

"I swear to god." I say through gritted teeth. "Do you want to be kicked off the team? Get rid of them right now!"

He finally gives in. "Fine! Now where the fuck do I put them!"

I roughly grab them out of his hand, shoving them into my locker where no one can find them.

"Get on the court right now." He quickly does so, not wanting to face me when I'm this angry. How could he be so stupid?

Ryan doesn't look me in the eye throughout the game. I don't let him stop me from giving my all to the game. In fact, the anger just fuels my passion to win even more.