Part 31

Enzo

BANG

I opened my eyes, and Cali was on the ground.

But she wasn't dead.

The gunshot came from the wood line, killing the man, between the eyes.

He laid dead on the ground, and Cali was laying down trying to take cover.

I crawled over to her, as one by one, my guys took out the others. I untied her and she hugged me, crying. 

"I love you too, Enzo. Go get your daughter!"

I let her go, and I opened the door, grabbing my baby girl out of there.

"Da Da!" 

She clapped her hands, smiling as I gave her kisses, and checked her over making sure she was okay.

It was finally over.

I turned around, and saw J.C helping Cali up off the ground, and she threw her arms around his neck.

"J.C! I haven't seen you in forever. Oh my God! Thank you so much for helping Enzo! I owe you my life."

"How about a date?"

I rolled my  eyes, and kept walking back to the truck.

I strapped Marci into her car seat. I gave her a kiss and she drifted off to sleep, happy to be back with her daddy.

I immediately called Erin.

No answer.

I tried again, again, and again.

Nothing.

I jumped out the truck, and the guys were walking up.

"Thanks guys! This means more to me than you can ever imagine."

"You owe us a lot of beer, Assassin!"

"Done my man."

"Cali, you coming?"

"Actually, I'm gonna ride back with J.C. Tell Erin, I love her. But I think y'all need time alone."

"Okay, J.C. you better take care of her."

"You already know." I shook his hand, and kissed her head.

I began driving, and my phone started to ring.

Finally Erin.

"Baby! Everything's going to be okay. I lo--"

I was cut off.

"Mr. Costa, this is Mrs. Williams'. I have been trying to get in touch with you. There has been a terrible, terrible incident."

I felt sick to my stomach.

Erin.

Dean.

"Where is Erin?"

"She is in the hospital, Enzo. She was tortured and attacked nearly killed. She's going to be okay it seems though!"

"What happened?"

"Some man and woman apparently broke in last night, and attacked her. I found her about an hour ago."

"Do they know who it was? Did they catch them?"

I kept driving, turning to head towards the hospital.

"They have no clue who they were. But they are laying dead in your kitchen."

"GOOD! I'm headed to the hospital now. Could you meet me there and watch over Marci, please?"

"Of course. I'll meet you there."

I hang up with her and dial J.C.

I explain what was going on, and they were headed to the hospital as well.

Please God, please tell me she's going to be okay.

*********

I opened my eyes, to a dimly lit room.

I could hear the beeping of the machines, and I knew I was safe.

I immediately looked around for any sign of anybody.

Nobody was in my room. 

My worst fear.

Where is he? Where is Marci?

I hit the nurse button on the bed and a few minutes later a nurse comes in.

"How you feeling? You've had quite the ordeal."

"I'm feeling okay. Has anyone been here for me?"

"Yes. Actually a whole waiting room of people are here for you. I believe one gentleman who has been here for days, slipped out for a moment to check on the baby."

OH MY GOD! They're okay! 

"I'll go grab him, honey."

I nodded, tears coming down.

I looked up and Enzo was standing before me.

Stubble and dark eyes, he walked to my bed. 

"Are you real?" I asked him.

"As real as you are, my love."

"Is it over?" 

"There is nothing or nobody anymore to stop us."

He leaned down, kissing my lips gently.

"I want to see Marci."

"I'll go grab her, baby. Hold on."

He came back a minute later, holding my beautiful baby in his arms.

"Ma Ma!" She squealed and came and sat on my lap.

"She said ma-ma!"

I laid in the bed, my family surrounding me. 

"Is Cali okay?"

"We all made it my love. She and J.C have seemed to hit it off pretty good, they've been almost inseparable honestly. Almost all the guys from the gym are downstairs. They truly took a liking to you, Erin. Mrs. Williams is down there. You're not alone anymore. We all love you."

"I love you all."

Marci began moving around, and Enzo picked her up off of me. 

"Get some rest mama, we will be here when you wake up. I promise you. You are gonna need all the rest you can get because once you're out of here. We have a lot of living to do."

I kissed Marci and Enzo, and fell back asleep.

For the very first time in my life. I slept peacefully.