Part 7

There are moments in life, where you are happy. There are moments when you're sad. There are moments where you go through all those normal cookie cutter bullshit emotions and you get over it and move on with your life. You have hope, you get over things, you move past them, and your life follows accordingly. Then there are some people who are always dealt bad cards since birth. The ones who never get ahead when life is against them. You take one step forward, and two steps back. I'm not saying you can't move on, change your bad luck, if you want to call it that, and make something out of life. 

Ehh, it's just so damn hard. I keep trying to keep a positive mental attitude. Keep my outlook hopeful. But I just want to give up. I'm getting very worn down, and I'm not even 25. 

I ended up walking back to some cabin Enzo had about 5 miles away. He offered to carry me, but I refused to acknowledge him. Once we were there, he locked all the doors, and showed me my room. I sunk down on the bed, finally letting go, and crying myself to sleep.

******

I open my eyes, and I'm starving. I leave my room and head to the front of the cabin, and see Enzo cooking. 

"You hungry?" he asks me.

"Very." I keep my answer short and sweet.

"Here, this is some pasta I made, finishing up the salad now." he said as he slid me a plate of food.

I immediately started eating, and I couldn't stop. I don't even remember how long it's been since I ate anything.It was actually pretty good. I wasn't going to tell him that, however. 

I finished my food, and sat back, rubbing my stomach. 

"Erin, we need to talk."

"No thanks. I'm going to take a shower." 

I got up to leave, and he came around and stood in front of me.

"The towels are in the hall closet, and I have your bags from your apartment, I'll place them in your room, and then you and I are sitting down and talking. I need to explain some things to you." He stated. "Oh and Erin, I mean it. We are discussing this tonight."

I just nodded and went to take a shower. 

My legs, and feet were all cut up, my body bruised, and when I went to look in the mirror, my eye was black and blue, almost swollen shut.

I looked like a damn mess. 

I finished up in the bathroom, wrapping my body in a towel, I went into my room, and quickly got dressed into shorts and a t-shirt. 

I sat on the edge of my  new bed, and rubbed lotion on my body. I didn't want to talk to him. I wanted nothing to do with him. But I was also scared of what would happen to me if I didn't. 

I sighed, and stood up, making my way back into the living room. 

I plopped down on the recliner, and he looked up from his book, and smiled at me.

Ugh.

"Can we go ahead and talk. I'd like to get some more rest, please."

"Erin, I want to start at the beginning,  I think there are some things you don't really understand." 

"You don't say." I rolled my eyes at him.

He sighed.

"Erin, I didn't kidnap you."

"Hmmm, I beg to differ. But please continue, this conversation is kinda starting off hilarious."

He closed his eyes, and shook his head, obviously he was getting fed up with me.

"I met Dean at the gym, you know that, I met you there that day. So, the thing is I'm always there. I pretty much hear and see everything that goes on there." He stopped to make sure I was listening.

"Go on."

"So a few days ago, I heard Dean and some of his loser friends in the locker room, they were talking bullshit, and I usually ignore them. But then Dean said something about wanting you gone. I thought that was fucked up to say and I started more or less eavesdropping." 

"Wait. You and Dean aren't friends?"

"Never, he's a fucking asshole."

"So what are you saying? I'm confused."

"He was telling them how he didn't want to kill you, but he didn't want you back either. So one of his buddies gave him a phone number. He told him to call that, and you wouldn't be a problem anymore. Dean told him he'd give whoever it was a call, and I heard nothing else about it."

"Okay, so where do you come in?" I wonder out loud.

"Yesterday morning, I decided I couldn't sit around and do nothing. It doesn't matter what anybody does, nobody deserves that."

"Deserves what exactly are you saying? I just need once and for all to know the truth."

"I looked Dean's information up, and got his address, I was coming over to make sure you were okay. I think. Or to make sure Dean was just blowing off steam and wasn't serious. When I got to your floor, I saw a man throw you over his shoulder, and paying Dean money. You were knocked out, with blood dripping off your face. I stayed back and didn't let him see me."

What?

He took a deep breath.

"Erin, I followed the man to his car, and when he went to throw you in the trunk, I intervened...I beat the shit out of him. I didn't stop. I couldn't. I killed whoever that was taking you."

"I left him laying there, dead."