18. Beauty

The great bird descended gracefully, casting a relieving shadow as it willed the wind to follow its movements. A glaring blue shone in its eyes, reflecting the morning sky with an aura of grandeur accompanying its trail. It's head was raised with pride, yet deep within it held respect for the beings around it and acknowledged them with a bow.

The Wind Phoenexias did the same, their movement deeply expressive as they closed their eyes, finding solace in the creatures's spiritual emanation. A tall, elegant figure adorned in the same blue glow approached the creature, her radiant smile deepening at its aura.

The creature gently moved the wind to carry the small child from its back and placed her slowly at the ground. Formed by the leader and the bird's energy, the child was engulfed in a powerfully recondite blanket of energy.

The leader took the little one in her arms, a kind smile appearing on her face.

"I Nuo, name you Inesa."

The blue glow radiated off the little one's existence, elevating the creature's aura. Such innocence resided in the child's heart and the Wind Phoenix vowed to protect it forever. Yes, it had let humans' thoughts affect the land's energy and give rise to the new beings, but such elegant existences couldn't possibly affect the balance negatively. It understood Azrael, if only a little.

Suddenly, a belligerent wind blew as smoke poured in, blocking the sunlight. Nuo's eyes immediately narrowed and she closed her eyes, looking deep within the sudden change. Her hold remained tender, though she now lay the child on the back of the creature.

"Please, take her and keep her safe. He is coming, but I suppose you already know that."

The creature hesitated before taking its flight, much to Nuo's relief. Even in the dismal atmosphere its wings were brilliant and brought profound comfort to the leader's mind. She took a deep breath, searching for the entity's presence before facing it.

"Sousconic. Why do you wish our extinction?"

There was a sudden silence, a cold shiver taunting the fair being but she remained firm, guiding her energy to help her people.

"I do not wish your extinction. If there was another way to save equilibrium, I would do it. But your power is great and I mustn't let it overwhelm the balance."

"You know the consequences of your actions. You risk your own balance. Your conscience-"

Nuo was interrupted by a bright flash of light, a searing burn shooting through her senses. She stared in horror as her kind disintegrated, disappearing in a matter of seconds. The energy that surrounded them was so powerful, so vibrant, beautiful even, but so...

Deadly.

"We all respect you, Sousconic. You don't have to do this."

The pain weighing on its thoughts was so subtle, yet so evident. Her senses alleviated as a creature descended beside the lady, though it soon was torn apart by the entity.

"Leave the Wind Phoenix."

"Zephyr must return to its original form. Its materialistic existence was what sparked your kind's."

Silence passed and Zephyr lost all hope. Why couldn't she have accepted her mistake? Why was she so weak that she allowed petty creatures to affect her?

"Those 'petty creatures' are the reason for our existence. Do not blame the humans, Zephyr. No one's to blame.

"It simply... happened. This is nature. Emotions were the cause and we were the effect. Now Sousconic fears that we will be the cause of the Shadow Dimension's destruction."