13. In Haste

"Can anyone tell me what's the most important skill needed in a speeder?"

Evelyn stood erect at the firm tone, flexing her entire body. Every student paid close attention. The wind blew softly and quickly in the open field, sending a tingle of ebullience through her fingertips.

The owner of the commanding voice nodded towards a young boy as he raised his arm, confidence shining in his eyes.

"Agility."

Evelyn's teacher shook her head, the fierce look remaining in her eyes. A frown came on the boy's face as he retreated his hand with uncertainty, wavering for a moment before he returned to his firm position. A similar bewilderment came on most of the children's faces as they believed it to be the answer, too.

"Anyone else?"

Her braided hair moved with the wind, though it stayed completely out of her keen eye as she observed her students' expressions. Evelyn thought it's red colour was far too illuminating in an absurd way, and she made the mistake of narrowing her eyes at it with a smile.

"Yes, Evelyn? What might be the answer?"

Evelyn's eyes returned to their normal expression, though hesitation was on her face.

"Huh..? Um, a decisive nature?"

"Why do you sound doubtful of your answer?"

I'm always doubtful of my answers, Evelyn thought as she gulped discreetly as Akilah stared into her eyes intensely before facing the crowd again, a small smile possibly coming on her face.

"I'm surprised to hear this from one with an impulsive nature, but that's right."

Evelyn let out a sigh, allowing a smile to come on her face. She figured the answer since it was a trait she thought herself to be lacking the most. Recently, though, she began doubting it after her friends Conrad and Elek insisted that she was decisive enough.

"The reason I ask you all this question after four years is that our training together is to come to an end the next year. You've all been my students since the age of ten, and some even younger than that. Though I understand the reasoning behind your answer, I can't help but be disappointed at the large number of trappers who think the same."

Akilah sighed, closing her eyes for a brief moment. The strain in her eyes burned, but she forced them to open anyway.

"Agility is indeed important, but it isn't the most important. Do not think the preconceived thought that super speed is merely a physical ability. Throughout our training, I'm sure you must've noticed other perks of the ability. Anyone?"

A thin, short girl raised her arm shyly, though an eager smile was on her face. Akilah gave her a firm nod, raising her face as if particularly interested in her answer.

"Since speeding involves the conversion of mass into energy, we can use this extra energy to affect our opponent in different ways. For example, sound energy to rattle their minds like how super strength can use shock waves or vibrations. Converting the energy also uses up personal energy, though."

Akilah nodded in a satisfied fashion, and the girl sighed in relief, looking happy. Evelyn wasn't very keen about all of this high-science stuff, but she knew if Elek were here, he would be hyperventilating.

"And do you know why such techniques aren't used often?"

A dark look shadowed on the girl's face as a few other students turned their heads towards the ground. Those who were surprised with the previous information were further confused, though Evelyn didn't understand why such strong emotions were on everyone's faces.