16. Over Reality's Wall

The clouds had parted as the wind settled, letting the sun shine.

As that young Shadow-Trapper left the scene, the remaining two of the council rushed towards the beings that had just emerged from the esoteric space, their expressions rife with curiosity and concern.

Maysa and Kenji came to a stop. Upon seeing the seven - no, eight - shadows, Maysa wore a frown. Upon observing their restrained aura, their dulled energies, it only deepened.

"You're back quite soon, and..."

"We went someplace where Time doesn't exist which is why it feels that way," Zeno said in a quiet tone, his mind unable to leave his previous atmosphere. Shadows of such... such... such auras... no, something indescribable.

Maysa nodded slowly.

"What now?"

Zeno's question came sharper than he had intended or anyone had expected. Kenji saw Jay's mind struggle to find its footing and thought quickly, just like he had once done for the previous leader.

"I will take care of Elek, like I did for Clement. He can..."

The words faded away and Pranetra looked only at her brother. How delicately he held the small being, how he looked at him with such concern, such responsibility. So unlike his usual self just moments before... could this little boy finally push him past his doubt?

His eyes were heavier than before. The heaviest so far.

He only burdens himself. Is that what he thinks it means to be a leader? Do things right. Keep your promises. Be honest for the sake of the world and the people. What went on his head?

As Kenji still spoke Jay's gaze wavered, moving around until Pranetra finally caught it, not letting him move. She shook her head slowly, her eyes subtly darting to the little boy in his hands.

Jay sighed, regaining his composure as he walked over to Kenji. Pranetra's sighed in relief, her aura finally giving way to weight as she lost focus of her surroundings, still standing but no more paying attention to anything that went about her.

Care... As a cloud moved to reduce the sun's shine, her friends captured Pranetra's attention. Zeno so deep in thought, Maysa so deep in concern. Kenji stood as an anchor of wisdom, yet his age couldn't do much for that bizarre day. Umbra and Hedley stood recoiled, unable to leave that space, just like Pranetra. One death shocked them, just like another did so for her. Why? Why did that shadow reach them, and why did that shadow reach her?

Clement was as unreadable as ever other than the very, very slight distance in his eye.

All those who visited the obscure space found at least one shadow they were attached to just like that, without any explanation. Everyone found one of their own, one shadow they couldn't help but admire. One shadow that simply wouldn't leave their thoughts. What was this?

Pranetra didn't want to indulge in this sorrow, but it was... addicting? It was... she was someone Pranetra simply couldn't forget, and she couldn't figure out why. Why did she care so much? Why did she reach her?

Had Jay not been preoccupied with other things, would he have felt the same? Pranetra looked at her brother who had defaulted to his confusing demeanour.

The one shadow Pranetra could read no matter what... she was unable to read. Perhaps he did feel the same, only in a way burdened in a way so different from the others. What about herself?

Did she care about that leader because of her death? Because she promised to give the leader some of her energy? Because of how she had been during her last moments?