2. A Distant Memory

"I'm going to miss you so, so much!"

Audrey clung to the grand, black figure, squashing her face against the keys, being cautious to not spoil the polished surface.

"Quit being a kid," Trina said in an unimpressed tone, standing against a pillar with her hands crossed.

"Am not."

Trina sighed, letting her arms fall by her side, as she murmured, "Why couldn't Galen fetch her instead."

"Hmm?"

"Nothing."

Silence filled the room for a few minutes. Trina observed the bright walls, bordered with a thin line of black. The sunlight bounced of the clean walls, reflecting in her green eyes.

She sighed, shaking her head as she walked towards Audrey, tapping her head.

"You know, our new home also has a piano. A nice, old, acoustic one."

"New home, huh..."

Audrey let go of the grand piano, staring at it with a peaceful smile. A ray of light shone brightly in her eyes, like a lone star in a peacefully cloudy sky.

She sighed as she stood in a loose posture, letting her messy hair fall around her face. Her mind concentrated on the sound of a happy breeze, and she closed her eyes for a long moment.

"It'll be an amazing place to live in. I'm sure of it," Audrey said firmly, turning towards Trina with wide eyes.

"But..."

The memories of the past five years flashed through her mind, confirming the trust and faith she had in her friends, eager to make new memories with them. But they also brought the safe feeling of a haven along with them, and she didn't think any place other than the one she stood in could really complete it.

"Nothing will replace home."

Trina let out a small laugh, her small braids subtly bouncing about her face as she did so.

"Let's go."

Audrey gave a nod and followed Trina after stroking the piano gently, one last time.

-----

"Ya'll ready to leave?" Elek said with a confident smile, lifting his bag onto his right shoulder.

Audrey, Conrad, Evelyn, Galen and Trina nodded together, although Audrey and Conrad were a little wary.

"Good. 'Cause I'm not."

Elek's head dropped towards the ground, causing Evelyn to roll her eyes and force an arm around Elek's neck.

"Hey! Kid. Nope. Face up high. You're the one who's always excited!"

Elek gave an unimpressed look, hitting Evelyn gently with his elbow.

"It's just... everything here... my life..."

It was evident that Elek was joking, but Audrey noticed a hint of worry in his tone.

"Do you want to help some people are not?" Audrey's voice instinctively took the shape of a leader's.

"Yes, Ma'am!"

"Good."

Audrey finally burst out laughing and Conrad merely shook his head, accompanied by Trina as they looked towards Elek, Audrey and Evelyn as if they were little children.

Galen stood with his hands inside his pockets, a proud smile on his face as he observed his five friends. He closed his eyes, finding comfort in the tranquil silence, and the expression of a gentle boy marked his face.

Suddenly, he felt a thin arm grab him, a momentary look of surprise catching him. Elek grinned towards him, and he returned a smile of friendship and gratitude, making an exception in his case with hugs.

"Hey. You five will be living together. Get away. It's us you'll miss!"

"Theo! Jack!" Evelyn exclaimed as she and Audrey pulled in the boys into their...whatever, crushing their bodies.

"Air is no more... sgah."

"Shush up, bookworm. You don't need air."

"I'm a Shadow, thank you very much."

"Yes, that's why you don't need air."

"What on Earth is going on here?"

"..."

Evelyn stopped all movement suddenly, before a dangerous smirk came on her face.

"You- ah!"

Jay helplessly let out a sound of surprise as Evelyn pulled him in, too, a satisfied look finally coming on her and Elek's faces.

"Ava, help me."

"I'm doing great out here, away from that Shadow Ball of hugs. Don't get me wrong, you're all great. But... yeah."

"I'm serious, I could faint right here with all of this low oxygen content."

"Biology is boring. Black holes are better! Plus you don't even need oxygen."

"Oh shut it. And that's basic."

"Excuse me?"

"Not to mention genetics..."

"Genetics don't even apply to us!"

"Are you sure you're all five and not fifteen?"

"Big bear group hug! Shadow Ball of hug is nice too!"

The voices of her friends and family blurred into a comforting song, as Audrey gently closed her eyes, smiling to herself. An aura of homely warmth glowed around her, as the picture of family was painted in her mind. All her friends together, their faces reflecting their carefree and happy demeanour, colours of yellow decorating the landscape. Her smiled deepened, as the song of friendship began to play in her mind, the distant memory of her parents merging in with the present.

In that moment, Audrey truly felt safe, and happy.

----- -------

"You're really clever, you know that?" Audrey's voice echoed in her mind as she let out a genuine laugh, looking up towards the sky of oblivion. "There's just so much in the past."

The wind gently played with her hair as her smile diminished, a little of it still present on her face.

"There's a lot more I need to know about my friends, and myself, huh?"

She sighed, a cautious but compassionate smile still on her face.

"Truth and time, here I come."