16. Evergreen

The flames terrified her, the fear of separation pounding on the little girl's sanity. Her strenuous eyes burned, and every time she blinked she wished to fall unconscious.

Yet the flames had no real effect on the little girl.

Holly was immersed in the broiling heat and though her senses picked the stimulus, they felt no pain, no physical agitation. It petrified her, and no matter how much she willed herself to look for her parents, she simply couldn't.

She was frozen.

Suddenly, a voice filled her head, its depth easing her disarray. Holly remained rigid, but paid attention to each word.

"Hello, little girl. You must not be afraid. You will be alright."

The voice struggled against a great force, as if it fought pain to speak to her.

"The reason the fire doesn't affect you is because remnants of a demon's energy run in your's. It is not a matter for you to be upset over, I assure you."

The words were now stoic, speaking as a manner of fact. Yet the suffering bonded them.

"Go to The Land of Grace. The spirit of the land will guide you towards the future. You will be safe there."

In all honestly, the girl didn't care about her safety, her comfort, anything of that sort. All she needed was to understand herself. But she couldn't simply leave her home...

"Who are you?"

Holly almost spoke silently, though her thoughts were enough for the entity to hear her words. It hesitated, making the girl wait with fear, but spoke eventually.

"I am your spirit. But that matters not; you make your own choices."

Holly was left muddled by the words, but she nodded obediently. She didn't have the courage to face her home, and every particle of her being urged her to heed the voice.

"Please guide me to the land."

Holly's voice was firmer now, though some uncertainty remained. She closed her eyes, relying on the spirit to guide her through the vibrations of the world.

She felt an odd sensation beneath her feet, realising that she had to go into the underground level. Her eyes remained close in concern of losing concentration, though she made her way down slowly. The heat subsided, though her surroundings remained pitch black. 

No light remained as a Shadow Being closed its eyes.

The ground felt unnaturally cold as she walked further from the house. She felt the sadness in her innocent mind, but no urge for tears came out. Holly reached her hand to touch the rough surface of the wall, finding comfort in Nature. She didn't converse with them, but she felt their solicitous empathy for her.

Even though I'm a demon.

"Open your eyes."

Holly immediately did so, the dim setting a relief for her sight. She directly faced a wooden door, a profound aura vibrating from it.

"Step inside and ask the portal to take you to the Land of Grace. From there, the land shall guide you."

Holly hesitated, taking a deep breath. She suddenly felt weak and helpless as she stood still, alone in the midst of chaos. They were taught to value the truth, but what was the truth?

She thought no longer. She took a quivering step forward, giving the door a gentle push.

It was locked. Of course it was locked.