6. Flames From The Past

The smell of arson choked Audrey's throat and her eyes were wide with fear, her entire being frozen. Within seconds did Chaos take over her mind, the sound of her home burning crumbling her previously elated state. The heat felt unnatural; an energy that was beyond foreign to her attempted to make its way into her delicate system.

"Audrey!"

Audrey stood still as Ava pulled her into a consoling embrace, protecting her from the threatening surroundings. The flames reflected kindly in the older girl's eyes, but Audrey knew the brave face was for her.

"We have to get out of here, right? Come, follow me."

Ava's hold was gentle, sending minuscule ripples of comfort through Audrey's skin. Even so, the knot of fear remained in her throat, and all she could do was follow Ava.

As they ran through the bare sage areas, Ava spotted a little boy moving on his own, his concern overshadowing his fear. Ava ran towards him and Audrey followed, as the two pulled him close, sighing with relief.

"Jack! Are you alright?"

Jack mumbled positively, but his eyes still frantically searched for the others.

Suddenly, Audrey jerked her head towards the right, catching onto the familiar, peaceful aura.

"M-mum...? Dad?"

Ava paused, eyeing Audrey carefully. How the little girl had managed to evade that demon's power was unknown to her, but the fact that she could sense them in such a fire...

Hey, Audrey.

Her mother's gentle tone echoed in her mind and she felt time stop. Her eyes saw nothing but darkness as what lay around her faded out of sight.

You need to go, dear. Don't worry about us.

Audrey felt immobilized, barely shaking her head. Her hands reached towards their presence and the vigorous flames were only inches away from her fingertips. The intensity tormented her skin, but Audrey paid no attention to it.

Ava immediately pulled her back, gasping as her face was twisted with effort. Her eyes frantically followed the path of escape, but something held her back.

It's alright, Ava. Please, take them and go. I know you are worried about us, about Holly, your option now is only one. Save yourselves.

Take care of Audrey and Jack, Ava. You are like my child, and so is Holly. I will protect her.

Ava's body was hesitant despite her mind's urge to escape. She eyed the two children with a fragile expression when their sorrowful eyes made her decision.

Ava picked up Jack gently, taking Audrey's palm in her own. Audrey and Jack both wanted to resist, but simply for each other's sake, they followed the older girl.

The raging heat was strenuous on her mind, but Ava withstood the pressure, focusing on her objective. Slowly, the exterior came into her view, but the intensity of the fire was far too much. Ava gritted her teeth with a subtle, bitter expression, turning her concentration towards the fire.

She took a deep breath as she assembled an invisible shield around the two and herself, and the fire no more reached towards her. She disliked using the energy of such a fire as a source for her Technique of Solis, but she saw no other choice. The smoke that was emitted around her had sent Audrey into a fit of coughing, but now, the shield alleviated her throat.

The three finally made it out, but Ava's eyes grew wide as she spotted a man running towards her. The distraught expression was foreign to his usual calm demeanour, and she couldn't help but lose hope.