11. Somewhere

Something heavy weighed on Jack as he left the group hug. The lingering petrichor in the atmosphere simultaneously comforted and choked him, as if the moist ground beneath sucked him in. Holding him in place, still.

Holding him in place, imprisoned.

"I'm going to miss you all so much," Audrey said in a low tone, looking at the floor. She raised her eyes to Jack, smiling. "But Jack and Theo can come to visit us! Simple stuff. Yeah, come every day."

Audrey nodded furiously and Jack chuckled, hiding his insincerity too well. Theo gave a short nod and rested his arm on Jack, little wrinkled of exhaustion forming in the corner of his eyes.

"We'll need to practice a lot for that to happen," Theo replied with a small smile which grew with his next thought. "That could be something to look forward to without all of you here!"

Evelyn hit Theo's sides and Trina narrowed her eyes, earning a confused and pained expression from the boy. "You want to get rid of us that badly, huh?"

"That's not what I meant!" Theo replied defensively and turned towards Elek for help, but the Shadow turned his head away, suppressing his smile.

"I'm sure both of you will do well," Trina said softly now and Theo grinned, knowing that Trina wouldn't speak insincerely. Theo nodded slowly, but his eyes wouldn't leave Audrey's uncertain expression. Her hand fingers sometimes woke up as they tapped to a melody, usually recognisable by Jack.

"At least Ava is going with you." Jack's gentle voice woke Audrey out of her daze and she immediately wore a smile, but it soon contracted into an upside-down curve.

"Yeah but only for two days!"

"I hope I can help you with your transition," Ava said gently as she looked at Audrey, her gentle smile doing wonders to ward off most concerns.

The fingers moved again, if only for a few seconds. Jack stared at Audrey as the audio around him dulled, slowly fading away into nothingness. All sights were out of his focus and all he could see was his sister and somewhat see that complicated aura of hers. Hidden away from him. A little grey, a little orange, the sorrow of departure overpowering any excitement by leagues...

Her fingers concluded softly, now remaining motionless. There was a spark of energy in her aura, a tiny flicker of light that indicated a spark through her hand, Jack was sure of it. A smile came onto Audrey's face as she lifted her chain ever so slightly, coming back to the conversation. The world came back into Jack's perspective and he took a deep breath, blinking slowly.

Jack raised his eyes to meet the cloud-covered sky. Observing the motions of some slowed the passage of time for him... tiny flurries of dust floating so far away from him, yet so close. His eyes followed the sun rays to see it blocked by a particularly large cloud, its shadow visible a fair distance away on Sylva Vita.

The shadows of clouds make for good portals... for places that are in sight, at least.

Jack took a slightly sharp breath in, attracting his sister's attention. A flicker of worry passed through her eyes but she quickly replaced it with her warmth. 

"And we should tell the kids - hey Aud -" Trina's tone sharpened as Audrey lightly pushed her friend, taking two big steps as she threw her arms around her brother.

"I'm really gonna miss you, you know that right?"

Jack's eyes slightly widened, first looking at Theo, then bounced over to Ava after which he returned the gesture. His eyes narrowed gently, staring at the displaced shadow of that cloud.

Time is moving. People are leaving, but for now, she was his constant. 

A finger tingled across his neck. Gentler than the lightest drop of rain, softer than the quietest note of music, but it was there. Jack's grip loosened.