10. This Land's Spirit

Jay held the little being protectively, his mind spiralling into confusion and caution. The wind raged coldly around him, exerting pressure on the many trees of the forest. It was as if nature argued with nature.

He took a deep breath, steadying himself and honing his senses. He let everything else lose his focus and only saw the little boy, reading his aura. A strong yellow filled his vision, quiet sparks of energy igniting the space. A wave of warmth and joy overwhelmed him, settling the disagreement of his atmosphere, calling the sun out of the cover of the dark clouds.

You're okay.

Jay sighed, smiling, now shifting his focus towards the rest of the Shadow-Trappers. Zeno, Ila and Clement lay on the floor, their energy considerably drained, but they would be okay. Umbra and Hedley stood together below a tree, seeking protection while healing the Nature around them. Their energy was relatively okay, but a deep sorrow lay in their minds and especially Hedley's.

Pranetra stood amidst the wind, a smile on her face. She walked over to the three who sat on the floor, helping them up gently. The four of them began to converse as if nothing much had happened, though they didn't stray from the burning topic for long.

Jay remembered everything clearly. The sense of the Shadow Dimension, Vlad and the promises that were made. He now wore a worried expression, his gaze still on Pranetra. He didn't expect her of all beings to form a strong connection with Mildred in such a short span of time.

But in that dimension, there is no time...

Pranetra caught her brother's look, turning to him with that radiant smile. She raised her chin up a bit, as if asking if something was wrong and Jay shook his head.

Suddenly Ila ran forward, coming at a stop and sitting on her knees. She was beside a small, thin boy, his eyes full of light and intrigue. A t-shirt hung around him loosely and Ila thought his cargo shorts made him look especially cute. He wore a warm smile at the sight of Ila, as did the latter.

"Hey Clay, what are you doing here?"

"Exploring," Clay said softly, now scanning the others who now stood in a line behind Ila. His focus fell on Jay, or more specifically, on what Jay held. He wasn't sure why, but something called to him.

Jay's eyes widened and he softened his grip on the little boy. He let his surroundings quieten, focusing on the little boy and Clay's aura to make sure.

There's no mistake... that's her. His mo-

No.

It was as if Jay's mind was divided and the rational reasoned with the emotional.

That is a little boy. Clay. They may be the same soul, they may share energies, but they are only the same in the Shadow Dimension. Not in the physical plane. Not here on Earth.

Jay sighed, hiding his thoughts with a smile. Clay turned back towards Ila whose warmth couldn't help but make him happy. Or perhaps, there was something else, too.

"You know, this area of the forest is not in its best state right now, so I say we leave it to heal itself, okay?"

"Can't we help the forest?"

Ila's mind melted into a buttery softness and Umbra beamed. "Yes, of course, but not now. Often, things just need to be."

Clay nodded understandingly, waving his hand to say bye to Ila. His t-shirt bounced about him as he skipped away from the council, his eyes observing his surroundings along the way. He then stopped for a moment and the wind settled around him.

"Elek."

The word appeared in Jay's mind, as if someone cast an illusion. Clay resumed his leave, now walking silently.