SHATTERED LIFE [EDITED]

Start from the beginning

"Who are you? How can I repay you?"

I still had the tipped smile on my lips when I replied. "I need to talk to you about a serious matter. It's about someone named Emeline."

Coen's smile dimmed instantly. To avoid the risk of other members knowing what I knew, he left the podium with me to go to an alley far away from the crowd. When both of us were sure that we were the only ones there, Coen turned to me. "What do you know? Tell me!"

"I want to know where you last saw her." At my tone, I could see the first hint of fear in his eyes. I was sure that he could tell something was different this time. My eyes looked too menacing, my face too blank for someone like Coen to understand. I gave him another five minutes to spare before my patience ran out.

"Answer me, you disgraceful fool!"

The way Coen looked at me then said what I needed to know. Must I always punish them? With a sigh, I gave them the signal. Shadows lurked instantly in there cutting off Coen's escape. He looked terrified watching the shadows trailed their cold touch at the nape of his neck, drawing blood. "I-I don't know, man-"

"You're lying." My voice was flat and cold. The shadows around him got more anxious when they didn't get any answer.

"No! Help! I swear I didn't kill her! I-I saw her last at Red clan's border. She was leaving town. I had people trail her but they lost her track in New Orleans." Thick drops of black blood dripped down his chin, making his voice high. His eyes were wide with fear when he took notice of the rushing shadows near his body.

"New Orleans? Interesting. I saw what you did to her. I just wanted to be sure you were the fool who hurt-" My voice was detached as I finished. "My toy."

I didn't give time for Coen to be surprised when the shadows ripped through his body, finishing him off in the process. His body dropped to the ground with a thud, but nothing could match the grin I wore while brushing past the dead clan leader in my path. There was a time when I might regret that but not now.

Not when I was sure that the little soul had something of mine.

***

EMIE

Alone.

Vengeful.

Terrified.

Those feelings kept bothering me throughout the shower I was taking. My skin probably became prone after scrubbing myself to get rid of the dirt and the memories that kept flashing before my eyes.

I never thought I'd be here today, full of bad luck one after another. Belle and that cruel man I called father never let me learn a spell. All because the prophecy said so. How easy it was for them to believe a piece of paper than my own words. And, now they've managed to wake up Darkness instead. With thoughts of that night running through my mind when my shower stopped, I didn't even realize. My mind was still not in control when I changed into a robe, drying my damp hair with a towel-

"So, what do you think about the deal?"

Shrieking at the sudden voice, my pulse increased watching the dark-eyed man near me. Talk about the devil... "Holy shit! How are you here?"

"Last time I checked you told me I was your imagination. But then again, this imaginary husband likes this view better." He winked staring at me as if coming inside a bathroom when people were changing was random for him.

Flinching at the comment, I tightly held the robe and looked at his arrogant eyes. "I'm not marrying you."

"You sure about that?" Blinking in surprise I watched as he reached for my cheeks, his wondering touch slow until he was hovering over my lips.

"Let me tell you-" He whispered, his eyes darkening farther. "I can hurt you in a way you can never imagine. So, do you? Want me to hurt you?"

"Hurt me? Please! If you think that I let you out, then I can send you back there. Every spell has loopholes." I croaked keeping my eyes anywhere but on his. I couldn't quite concentrate when he was so close, invading my personal damn space.

He scoffed, almost immediately backing away. "I call foul. You can't do magic, little soul."

Shit, how did he know that?

"Doesn't mean I can't learn now." My body stiffened when I remembered what he had done to the clan. "You are not getting that soul, Darkness. It's mine and mine alone."

"And you are the most beautiful and wonderful witch I've ever met." He licked his lips while grinning down at my small figure.

"WHAT!" I let out a shriek. I couldn't understand what on earth was wrong with this guy.

"Thought we were playing the lying game. Listen, you and I both know people who are chosen for that kind of sacrifice don't get to learn even a spell. You were marked before, weren't you? I saw that little detail when you were trying to run from me." He said with amusement filling his dark eyes.

Ugh! For the love of God...

"You-You make me so..." I couldn't choose the words to describe how frustrated he made me.

"Delightful, exquisite, devilish...There are so many choices. Come on now, I'm waiting for you to choose one." Of course, he was also full of himself. Why me?

"Angry. You make me so angry!" I finally chose the word. I could have said more to chew him into a new one if not Hannah slamming the door open to enter the room.

"Were you talking to someone?"

From my peripheral vision, I could see that unsurprisingly once again, the room was empty. The bastard disappeared after insulting me in three different ways.

Go figure.

"I was just talking to myself." And, a lunatic who wouldn't leave me the hell alone. "What are you doing here?"

Hannah beamed at me. "So, starting tomorrow, I will teach you all you have to know."

Finally, something I could look forward to...