Kabanata 51

Ralph's POV:

Drama has never been my cup of tea, yet it seems an unwelcome guest has found its way into my sister and my cousin. As I observe their tangled saga unfold, a sense of déjà vu washes over me. Oh, I see, the familiarity of the situation raises the question of why it strikes a chord within my own experiences. Damn.

"I'll just go to my car, mom, and take a rest," I informed my mother after my sister left.

"Why not ask Manang for a room so you can stretch out?" my mom suggested.

"Yeah, son, so you can be more comfortable during your break," my dad added.

"No need. I'm fine. Thank you," I assured them with a slight smile.

"Are you sure?" Mom asked, gently stroking my arm.

Since my mom returned from the States with my dad, she has been sweeter than before. Although she's always been soft and sweet, there's an extra sweetness to her now. I wasn't aware of any significant event that might have happened between her and dad, causing this change. I appreciate it, though. I smirked. Good for them.

"Yeah."

"Okay. Both you and your sister should come back here later before dinner," she said, still affectionately touching my arm. "Do not forget that, Ralph. Tawagin mo ang kapatid mong magparito."

I nodded at my mom and stepped out of the yard, following my sister's lead. Glancing around, I wondered where she had gone. When I really couldn't see her, I went inside my car to rest. A smirk immediately crossed my face as I noticed a picture frame on the dashboard. I didn't need to gaze at it for long to recognize the figures in the photo. It was undoubtedly me and Cassandra from the past.

Shaking my head, I got my phone from my pocket. It was time to message my friend for some much-needed updates.

Ako:

Kent, how's the investigation there?

Kent:

Videocall later. We'll discuss things.

Kent:

Anyway he's asking about Dianne.

Ako:

Sure. I'll be on it. Tell him Dianne is doing well here.

I turned off my phone and returned it to my pocket. Just as I was about to settle in for some sleep, I noticed my sister on the side, seated on the wooden long chair. Tilting my head slightly, I observed her deep in thought. I wonder what occupied her thoughts at that moment. Was she contemplating a person, a specific thing, or perhaps an event?

I sighed and then stepped out of the car. With my hands in my pockets, I walked towards her. She glanced at me as she noticed my approach. Magpapahinga dapat ako, eh.

"Something is bothering you?" I asked as I settled beside her.

"Don't mind me."

"I always mind you. What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "Nothing's wrong."

I sighed, knowing she wouldn't divulge her thoughts easily. She's somewhat unpredictable. You'll be only surprised when she suddenly opens up in the midst of whatever you're doing. Ewan, iba rin talaga ang timing niya.

"You're okay with mom and dad now," I mentioned, steering the conversation to maintain a connection with her.

"Yeah. Mom's been too sweet to me lately," she chuckled.

"Bumabawi lang siguro. Aren't you glad about it?"

"I'm glad of course."

"Do you plan to stay here after the burial of Manang Dolor's husband?"