Kabanata 38

I noticed her eyes widening at my words, and a smirk played on my lips, though it wasn't meant to be intimidating. I simply found the situation somewhat amusing, and my curiosity grew. However, I looked away when I noticed how nervous she seemed around me. She appeared frightened, and I didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

I didn't know why Kalil had to call her, and I didn't realize they were so close, exchanging numbers and seem to be casually having phone conversations. What was their deal? The way Wenwen acted upon answering the phone call, it left me feeling somewhat uneasy. I couldn't help but wonder if there was more to their relationship than met the eye. It was as if there were hidden layers to their friendship that I was not aware of.

"I'll get going. Just say my greetings to him," I stated, resuming my walk and leaving her standing there.

I tried to convince myself not to make a big deal out of it. Kalil is my friend, and Wenwen is my friend. It's entirely normal for them to be friends as well. I didn't mind, or at least I was trying not to. The whole situation was probably much simpler than my overthinking was making it out to be.

"Yshi!"

I turned to the person who called my name and saw Ate Nicole walking towards me.

"May klase ka pa?"

"No, I'm done for the day," I replied.

"So, you're probably heading home now, right?"

Hindi niya itatanong ito kung wala siyang kailangan. "What do you need?" I asked. She immediately laughed at my remark and I shook my head at her.

"Tara sa basketball court."

I tilted my head in confusion. "Sorry?"

"Sa basketball court, kila Zey sana."

"No," I firmly declined. She just laughed and pulled me along, despite my protests.

I complained about her dragging me there, but she wouldn't let me go. Instead, she found it all very amusing, which is why I maintained a serious expression.

"Zey told me about what happened to you with Bryan in the court on the first day of school," she started talking and laughing about it.

I gave her a glare. "Please, stop bringing that up."

She shrugged, still laughing. "Well, I'm curious about how Jayvee and the others are doing on the soccer field during practice. I hope they're doing well."

I felt relieved that Ate Nicole had shifted the conversation, so I let out a sigh. But then, Wenwen crossed my mind again because of that.

"We don't get to visit them often, especially Kalil. He can be quite sulky," she continued.

I glanced at her. "Someone visits him already."

"Huh? Sino?"

"Wenwen."

Her brows furrowed. "Your best friend?"

"My friend."

"Are you jealous?" she asked, studying me closely.

I looked at her again. "Why would I be?"

"Come on, Yshi. Don't try to act tough," she smirked at me.

I hesitated for a moment. "Well... I don't know," I said with a shrug.

"You sound a bit bitter," she noted.

Ngumiwi ako sa kanya at inilingan siya. Hindi na ako sumagot pa roon at inalis na lang ang pagkakahawak niya sa akin dahil kanina pa ako nito hinihila. Oo na, sasama na ako sa pupuntahan niya.