Kabanata 31

Before heading home, I happened to spot Mildred and her two friends, Angela and Chelsea. It's not my usual thing to approach them, but today I decided to. Mildred seemed surprised when she saw me coming over. It felt a bit awkward, especially since I remembered that we didn't have much interaction during our capstone project. We never had the chance to get close to each other.

I couldn't help but notice the wounds on her arms and the bruises scattered on some parts of her legs. Despite her overall striking appearance and flawless skin, those marks were glaringly visible as I observed her.

"How are you now?" I asked her.

She raised her brow at me, not wanting to believe I actually approached her only to ask that.

"There's no need to pity me, Yshi. It might seem like a result of what Lovely did to me, but that's just how she is. I can't do anything about it. She's got a real talent for ruining people's lives anyway, so it's not surprising. Babawian ko na lang kung kaya ko," she replied to me.

Mildred's statement was intriguing that made my brows furrow. Did she know Lovely? How could she have knowledge about her actions and their impact?

I slowly nodded. "I understand, but it's not your fault. No one deserves to be treated that way."

"Ipakalat kaya natin number ni Lovely, ano?" I overheard Angela saying as she chatted with Chelsea.

"Yeah, let's make a prank call," Chelsea added, and they both giggled.

I raised an eyebrow as I watched them. Nang mapansin ni Mildred ang reaksyon ko ay agad niyang sinuway ang dalawang kaibigan. They straightened up and stopped whispering and giggling, especially when they realized I was there.

"Can I have her number?" I asked.

"Of Lovely?" They both asked, and I nodded.

"Just give it to her. Whatever," Mildred told them.

They exchanged glances before handing me the number. I could see the confusion in their eyes, especially Mildred, who seemed confused as to why I was interested in Lovely's number. I just smiled, deciding to keep my intentions private and let them wonder.

"Thank you for this," I told them, and they all nodded, still unsure of my motives.

When I arrived home, I headed straight to my room. After a quick shower and getting dressed, I came out of my room. I was about to head downstairs when I ran into Manang Dolor.

"I want to eat my dinner na po. Is kuya already there?" I asked her.

"Nasa office niya sa taas. Busy. Hindi pa nga kumakain ang kuya mo," aniya sa akin na marahan kong tinanguan.

Instead of heading downstairs, I went straight to Kuya Ralph's office. Buti nga at nandito siya at wala sa kumpanya. Here, he can rest somehow. I knocked three times before he opened the door. I peeked in, and he immediately noticed me. So I opened the door wider and walked inside.

I could see he was somewhat surprised to see me in his office. He got up from his swivel chair and walked over to me, giving me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Dinner?" I asked him.

"Later," he replied with a slight smile.

"Alright," I said and turned to leave. I paused in my tracks when he spoke again.

"Your Ate Dianne will be out for two months," Kuya Ralph informed me, which made me look at him again.

"Why?"

"She's attending a seminar."

"Ah," I nodded.

"That's why she asked me to take her place for now."