Kabanata 20

Wow, that is the only word my mind can conjure right now. The presentation was impeccable, flawlessly delivered without a hint of hesitation, leaving me thoroughly impressed. Their confidence and expertise were palpable, making it a truly remarkable performance. As I sat there, entranced by the presentation, I couldn't help but unconsciously steal a glance at Precious, only to find her gazing blankly into the distance. Concern began to well up inside me as I wondered what might be troubling her.

"Courtship! Zean and Nicole, kayo na!" Tawag ni Erazette sa kanilang dalawa dahil sila na ngayon ay ang magsasalita sa usapin na iyon.

Courtship? It is traditionally seen as the crucial phase where two people are on a journey to truly know each other. However, in my case, Precious seemed to skip that step, appearing content with her first perceptions of me. Yet, upon reflection, I admit that the blame for this oversight lay squarely on my shoulders. I had failed to take the initiative and missed the opportunity to foster a deeper connection.

With the presentation finally concluded, not only for our group but also for the others, it was evident that some groups had to continue the following day due to time constraints that led to our afternoon dismissal. Erazette, ever the gracious leader, commended our efforts with a warm smile and encouraged us to come together for a group hug.

"Great job, guys!" she exclaimed, her optimism shining through. "See you tomorrow! Sana mataas ang grades ang makuha natin! Let's pray for it!"

Laughter filled the air as Claisse chimed in, playfully acknowledging Marcie's occasional stumbling over words earlier, to which Marcie good-naturedly agreed.

"At least nagawa ko iyong part ko," aniya na tinanguan nila.

Erazette and Thania, the first to depart, bid their farewells. Thania even added a beaming smile, leaving the group with a sense of accomplishment and anticipation for the following day's presentations.

I turned to look at Ashley and informed her we were going home. But when Precious called me, Ashley quickly withdrew herself to give us a space.

"Can we talk?"

I turned to Ashley and notified her of our departure, prompting her to gracefully give us some space as Precious called out to me, her eyes seemingly harboring some concern.

"Can we talk?" she asked, to which I took a deep breath before responding.

"It's already late," I stated tersely, striding away from her.

An overwhelming sense of self-loathing washed over me because my actions and attitude had been far from ideal. Hindi naman ito ang gusto kong maging ako bilang isang nobyo.

Before we distanced ourselves from the group, I saw Yshi shoot me a piercing glance, clearly disapproving of my treatment of her cousin, and Zean furrowed his brow in evident confusion.

Ashley's voice broke the silence with a serious tone between us. "You're being unusually cold," she observed.

"Please, just drop it," I retorted, growing increasingly frustrated.

"You know I'm not convinced you don't like Precious because I'm sure you somehow do. I'm not also convinced you're done with your relationship with her because I know you're still a bit soft towards her. Iyong totoo, what's your deal?" Ashley, however, remained persistent. "You see? It just doesn't add up. What's really going on with you?"

My frustration mounted as I struggled to decipher the complex emotions that had been haunting me. I looked at her. Sakto na nandito na kami ngayon sa parking lot. I stopped walking, causing Ashley to stop as well. What's my deal, huh?