Kabanata 15

We found ourselves outside our respective tents, seated on folding chairs. I was engrossed in reading manga on my phone while Kalil was also glued to his phone, watching funny YouTube videos. Suddenly, we heard Marcie's call, and when we turned in his direction, we saw him running toward us. I gazed at him with a furrowed brow, scrutinizing him closely. Honestly, every time I looked at him, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. I had a knack for reading people.

"Don't be too loud. I'm watching something," Kalil cautioned Marcie.

Marcie, despite the interruption, directed his attention toward me, asking a seemingly random question.

"Who is the person you like?"

When I was asked about that, I felt a bit taken aback. I didn't know how to respond and just chuckled awkwardly. I was also in the process of figuring out my own feelings, uncertain about where to invest my emotions, time, and affection. At that moment, I genuinely didn't know. However, I could recall two people from my past whom I had liked: Anna and Christine.

"None," I chuckled.

Marcie simply nodded, his indifference clearly visible. It was evident he didn't particularly care about the question he had asked me. He cast a brief glance at Kalil before walking away.

"That's strange," I remarked, prompting Kalil to shrug and chuckle.

"Why? What are you looking for in a woman?" Kalil asked me as he powered down his phone and stashed it in his pocket.

I leaned back in my chair, and there was a thoughtful expression on my face. Anong gusto ko sa babae?

"You know, Kalil, I've always thought about what I'd want in a woman. I want someone different," I replied to him, my gaze distant. "I mean, not just your regular, run-of-the-mill person. I want someone who stands out, who's unique in her own way."

Kalil leaned in, intrigued. "Different, you say? How different are we talking about here?"

I grinned, trying to put my thoughts into words. "I mean, she doesn't have to be extraordinary in the grand sense, but she should have something that sets her apart. Maybe it's a unique perspective on life, a passion for something unusual, or just a way of looking at the world that's refreshing and inspiring."

I saw Kalil slowly nod at me, absorbing my perspective. "So, you want someone who challenges the norm and brings something special to the table."

"Exactly," I confirmed. "I want to meet someone who makes me see the world in a new light, who brings a different kind of energy into my life."

"That sounds like an interesting quest, Bryan," Kalil said and leaned back, contemplating the idea. "Finding someone like that might not be easy, but it would definitely make for an exciting journey."

"You're right," I said and chuckled. "But I think it's worth it. Life's too short to settle for the ordinary, don't you think?"

"Absolutely. Finding that unique connection is what makes life so much more meaningful," Kalil said and smiled.

I nodded in agreement. "Life's too short to settle for anything less."

I saw how Kalil's gaze suddenly turned thoughtful too. Nasa distansya na rin ang kanyang atensyon, halatang may malalim na iniisip.

"You know, Bryan, I can say the same about myself. There's someone I'm really into, and she's incredibly different from anyone else I've been with. I fell in love with her before, and to this day, I'm still head over heels for her," he suddenly confessed to me.

My eyes lit up with curiosity. "Really? Tell me more about her. What makes her so different?"

"She's not like any girl I've ever met," Kalil smiled. There was a hint of nostalgia in his eyes. "She's fiercely independent, incredibly driven, and she's got this captivating cool energy about her that's just infectious. Being around her is like a breath of fresh air."