Chapter 4:Jacob

After I showered, I quickly shaved and blow-dried my hair. I threw on a pair of sweats, and a black wife-beater. I gingerly inched down the stairs, my hangover making itself present with every step. I waltzed into the kitchen in search of a pain-killer. I opened the top cabinet. Eureka! Jesus in a bottle. 

Just as I took out two small white caplets, I realised I wasn't alone. I looked over, and saw my mom and dad sitting at the table. I rolled my eyes. Great. I dry swallowed the pills, cursing myself as I jerked my head back. I started back to the stairs. My mom's voice stopped me. 

"Jacob, can your father and I speak to you for a moment." Always polite. I groaned and swiveled on my foot.

"What do you want?"

"Please come sit down." My mom pleaded. Another eye-roll. I sat in the chair farthest from them. I folded my hands all nice-like and plastered on a fake polite smile. 

"Yes, Mother. What is it?"

"Well, dear we don't think..." She glanced at my father nervously. I motioned for her to continue. 

"Well, it's just your father and I are very concerned for you. We don't like how you've been acting these past few months. We think it's best for you to move and live with your aunt Cathy in L.A."

It took a couple of seconds for her words to sink in. My face fell. "What did you say?"

She cleared her throat and started again, "Well,..." I cut her off with a harsh slap to the table.

"I heard what the f*ck you said mom! What?... How could you do this to me?"

Her eyes watered. "Sweetheart, I love you, but..."

I stood up. "No, Mom. NO BUTS! This is bullsh*t!" I screamed. Red covered my view. I grabbed the corner of the table, and promptly flipped it over.

"Jacob!" My mom screamed through her tears. My dad finally spoke.

'Now Jacob, this is not the way to handle things... You-"

"NO! F*CK YOU! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?? F*CK YOU BOTH! I HATE YOU!

I knocked over my chair and walked back towards the stairs.  My dad stopped me with a hand to my chest.

"Let. Go. Of. Me!"

"Now look here! We are your parents and-"

"YOU ARE NOT MY PARENTS! MY PARENTS ARE BURIED! DEAD! YOU ARE JUST THE UNLUCKY BASTARD WHO ADOPTED ME! NOW LET GO OF ME!"

I saw the look of hurt and pain flash across his eyes before they hardened into ice, and he let me go. I ran up the stairs. My mom's cries and heavy sobs following me. I slammed my door.

I pulled at my hair. "F*CK!"