C A R L I S L E // C U L L E N

Start from the beginning

"Carlisle, who is this?" A copper-haired vampire asked as his eyes ran over her body sceptically.

"This is Lillian, the best midwife you'll find",

"And what makes her so important?" a blonde woman spat with a fury glazed over her amber eyes. It was most probably due to my eyes and/or the jealousy she held in her own toward the human.

"I'm the only thing good about this pregnancy, so you either accept my help or she dies along with the baby".

Suddenly, the copper-haired vampire began to lunge at me before Carlisle stood between him and I. Of course, nobody failed to see that look, the one of a threatened mate.

"Just do what you can" a soft voice said, invading the tense conversation with a graceful smile.

__________

Later that night, Lillian kneeled before Bella as she carefully placed her hands upon the bump. Like a clear picture before the midwife, she saw the baby pulsing from Bella's stomach with a soft, red glow.

Thankfully, it was healthy but, hungry nonetheless. It was dangerous for her to keep the baby. However, nothing would separate Bella from the child. Carlisle -as she was informed- failed to terminate the pregnancy and by then, a violent bond was made between mother and child... Lillian could feel it. It was her power, to feel the connection of maternal love and feel child as it sat warmly in their womb. And on many occasions, Lillian was bitter about it.

Lillian could remember finding "Jane", an underground abortion clinic. How they helped her safely abort her child, for her to later regret the choice until she left the world as a human and awoke as a vampire.

"Li... Lilli... Lillian!" A voice exclaimed, giving Lillian a shock as she jumped from her kneeling position.

That's when she looked up to see Carlisle with a worried expression and hand on her shoulder. That short touch had her shivering and able to forget her brief meltdown before she pushed past him angrily.

Lillian had never had this happen before. No other job had her mind wandering with such petty things. It was in the past, she couldn't regret it... She wasn't allowed.

She killed her baby.

__________

When night overcame the Cullen house and everyone was out hunting. Lillian sat quietly on a nearby balcony, surrounded by glass walls and climbing vines. And of course, Carlisle was left alone with her.

They were both silent against the backdrop of clear skies and tall trees. Right until Carlisle broke the silence.

"Thank you for coming here" he began, his words delicate as they carried themselves to her ears.

"As long as you're gonna pay me".

Carlisle suddenly erupted into laughter.

"Jeremiah said you would be like this" Carlisle finished.

"Jeremiah doesn't know me, we hooked up once and he thinks he can read me like a book" Lillian scoffed in reply, her eyes rolling in the process.

"I won't say I can either. But, I want to know you"... That's when she felt his soft hand slide over her own. And in moments many thoughts invaded her mind; the majority of them questions.

Did he expect me to love him straight off the bat? Did he want me to be a vegetarian? Did he expect me to stay?... Be a mother.

Lillian quickly withdrew her hand from his light grip and quickly stood.

"I don't want a mate, I never did. I'm not gonna join your human-loving, happy family. I want to do my job and get the hell out of this dingy town" She spat out with horrid venom.

"I will never expect you to stay Lillian let alone change your appetite for me. After all, you've barely known me a week".

"Then you understand that I'll never be all that, even if I do decide to remain" Lillian whispered against the cold wind.

In the seconds of silence, Carlisle stood and reluctantly cupped her face in his palm.
As if on instinct, Lillian nuzzled into his marble-like skin and heard a purr rumble from her throat.

"You're my mate for being you".

"Even if I'm a money motivated, egotistical, human-eating midwife?".

"Even if you were all that and extremely tall".