01| Leg

"Doctor Eloy. You're needed in room 332," a nurse said to me and I nod my head as I get up, putting my white coat back on. Grabbing my clipboard and excess paper I spin on my heal.

"I'll see you for lunch Randall," I say to the old man who only chuckles and shakes his head.

"Go live your life, you loser," he says to me as I open the door and walk backwards, looking at him with a beaming smile.

"Sorry. Too busy saving them." I chuckle as I spin again and walk to the elevator that takes me to the third floor.

Right outside of the room I grab the folder from the door and push it open.

"Ms. Kennedy. 28 years young. Suffered a fall and is having a check on her leg." I read out loud, a little confused as to why I was called until I look up.

An older woman of East Asian descent, I'm assuming, stands with a worried look on her face and hands on her hips. Across from her stands an ebony skinned man who is about the same age as the woman, giving me a sheepish grin. I look and see he was swinging something and when my eyes lock on it I notice it's an artificial leg.

"Dad, give me my leg back!" An angelic voice says and my attention is drawn to the woman sitting on the bed in between what I assume to be her parents. She is a deep bronze skin tone with jet black hair that falls in soft curls around her shoulders. Her deep brown eyes blink at her father with eyelashes that could probably hit me from the other end of the room.

But, as a doctor, I learned to analyze things quickly so I'm able to notice her details quickly. My eyes are drawn to her legs... well, just the left one which happens to stop just above the knee.

"Ah, that's why I was called in." I chuckle and move to grab the wheelie chair and plop down on it, rolling over to the woman. I pull a pen out from my pocket and bite the cap to pull it off, scribbling down the fact that she has one leg which probably should have been mentioned prior.

"You look awfully young to be a doctor." I look up at the man through a chestnut curl that fell over my eye, who is pointing at me with the leg in his hand and I chuckle a little. Finishing the quick note, I put the pen back in my pocket and throw the folder onto the table next to me.

"31 years young, Sir. Had to go through years of hell in medical school to get here." I say with a shrug and the man nods his head a little nervously, which I've noticed. I mean, he's in a hospital after all. I gesture to the leg and he hands it to me quickly, just realizing he was still pointing at me with it.

"I'm sorry for my husband, and for anything else, in advance, he might say." The woman to my right says and I let out a breathy laugh.

"Don't worry about it. I'm Doctor Eloy, but you guys can call me Noah. Now, what are you here for Ms. Kennedy. Well other than the fact that your leg is in my hand." I look up to the woman in front of me who just happens to have her jaw dropped but quickly shuts it.

"Nala."

"Alright Nala, tell me what happened."

"Well..."

"Her foot got stuck in a stupid bicycle chain and she went tumbling off the damn thing." Her father rushes out.

"God, if you're listening..." Nala mumbles as she looks at the ceiling and I bite my cheek to keep from laughing.

"Mind if I take a check?" I ask her as I walk over to the counter and grab a pair of gloves. She shrugs and moves to pull her pants higher when I catch how pale her parents grow.

"Actually Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy would you mind stepping out. It's kind of protocol. The waiting room just got some donuts and I heard they're a new flavor. A friend of mine said they're to die for." They both look at Nala unsure but when she nods they take a step out the door and shut it.

"You looked like you needed a minute alone." I chuckle out and Nala relaxes.

"I love 'em, but I've had only one leg for over twenty years and they still try to be my crutch." I sit back on the chair and look at her leg, seeing the nasty cut it left and check the muscles.

"Overbearing parents and one leg don't mix well huh?" I ask.

"Not at all. They think that I can't live my life with one leg so I might as well live in a bubble."

"Ugh, living in a bubble is the worst. You ever stay in a hospital for a week straight?" She laughs at me as she nods to her leg. "Oh yeah, stupid question. Well, not fun."

"Oh c' mon, you're a handsome doctor. You got it all."

"I'm going to let it slide that you called me handsome, beautiful." She looks down smiling and I look back to her leg. "But I most definitely don't have it all." Before she can say another word, I sit back a little to look at her. "It looks like you messed up the muscle a little during your fall. You cut it pretty bad and messed up the muscle a little. I can fix it, but I suggest you stay for a day or so to make sure no blood clots are coming. And you can't wear the leg for a least a week."

"Shit!" She mumbles and sits back in the bed.

"A week's not that bad."

"No, I was supposed to go on this sort of adventure thing." when she sees my confused face she continues. "I'm like an adrenaline junkie or whatever. I joined this group that's going to a few places around the world and I guaranteed them that I would be fine with the prosthetic. They're all going to think I'm weak and the organization is totally going to kick me out." She rubs her face with her hands and sighs.

"Can't you just join them after you get better?"

"No, they aren't going to let me in if they know there's a small chance that I can get hurt again."

"What if I write you a letter saying you're perfectly healthy?"

"You would do that for me?" She asks with hope in her eyes and I stand up, cracking my back in the process.

"Well my dear Nala, that decision will be made in a week's time. No blood clot and you got my signature guaranteed." I stick my hand out and she grabs it with a smile on her face.

"You better hold up to that promise Doctor Handsome." 

Please vote and comment!!

And follow me on Instagram for updates and sneak peaks!!

@faruhway

❤️❤️Much Love