03| Plan

"Hello Doctor Eloy, we are sorry to inform you and Nala but if she suffered any injury recently we cannot take the risk of her joining us. Sorry, once again and we will inform Nala about the return of her funds."

"Damn," Randall says as I nod my head, looking up from the email I was reading.

"I have to go tell her," I say and Randall gives me an apologetic look.

"Let her down easy, son."

Making my way to the third floor, I make sure to knock before opening the door. Nala is getting ready to go home and grabs the crutch that the hospital gave her. She turns her head towards me and gives me the shiniest smile I have ever seen. One that it really hard not to return.

"I'll be coming back in a week to make sure you write that damn email." She laughs out and I shut the door behind me.

"Actually Nala, I already wrote it." Her smile grows for a second until she sees the look on my face and it drops quickly. "The organization said that it would be too risky to take you with them so they're going to refund you."

"Ugh!" She screams and falls back on the bed.

"You could probably find another group that will take you." I try to console, while she puts her palms on her face.

"This was the only one that would agree to let me go. Everyone else said I was too much of a 'risk factor'. I mean yeah, I got one leg but I can still walk, run, and jump faster than any of these losers."

Just then the door bursts open and in walks Randall.

"Uh? Hello?" Nala asks, peaking between her fingers at the stranger who just waltzed in.

"What the heck old man? What are you doing?" I ask with wide eyes and Carol comes rushing in.

"Randall! You can't go rushing into patients' rooms!" He waves her off and I nod to her that I'll handle it so she walked out, unwillingly.

"Hey, Noah!" He said with a big smile on his face and I hear Nala clear her throat.

"Um...?"

"Oh, you must be the adventurer that Noah got the flyer from!" Randall said as he moved to a chair placed on the side of the room and sat down. "Sorry, took a lot out of me to get down here. I live on the fifth floor."

"Well, that probably means you should stay on the fifth floor, you crazy man!"

"Noah! That's pretty rude!" Nala said and I let out a huff of air as I push back a curl that fell over my eye. I look at Nala who was staring at the movement, but shook her head and looked at me with an expectant look.

"He's rude, isn't he?" Randall says with a smirk.

"Don't you start," I grumble.

"Nah, I'm just kidding. One of the kindest men I have ever met."

I rub my hands over my face and look up at the ceiling.

"So help me God," I mumble and look over at Nala.

"Nala. This is Randall. He's a crazy man."

"A crazy man he spends a majority of his time with. You love me." Nala laughs out when I shrug my shoulders.

"I do love the man. Now care to explain why the heck you followed me down to another patient's room?"

"Well!" He sits up in his seat and looks between the two of us. "I'm sorry sweetheart that you are being told that you can't go to the adventure mumbo jumbo just because you're missing a limb."

"Blunt." He scoffs.

"Learned from the best" I comment and she lets out a chuckle.

"Please continue."

"So I was thinking that they would definitely let you go if you take a doctor with you."

"I hate to burst your bubble, Randall. But I don't think any doctors are planning to join me on a trip to hike mountains and skydive and stuff."

"Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Take Noah." He gestures to me and her eyes light up but dim right after.

"I can't ask him to do that."

"Why not? He used to be an adrenaline junkie when he was younger. Which I don't believe that much. But he showed me pictures of the motorcycles he used to have and the tattoos across his bodies from places he's been. Well before he got this dead-end job."

"Dead-end job? I'm literally saving lives."

"Well then save this nice young woman's life. No offense sweetheart but you're not getting any younger. And from experience, I would have rather traveled the world then sit handicapped every day." He says with a shrug. "Now think about it Noah," he says and gets up from the seat. "I gotta get out of here before security finds out I took one of their cards."

"Randall!" I gasp out and he rolls his eyes at me.

"Oh shut it loser." He throws his hand over his shoulder as he walks out of the room.

I turn and look at Nala again.

"Your friend is..."

"A lot. I know." I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You don't have to join. But if you have a friend who's a doctor who wants to join then that would be totally helpful." And then I think about it.

What do I really have here to lose? I've worked my ass off for this job, yeah but it'll probably still be here when I come back. It's not like it was my first choice on how to spend my life.

Maybe Randall's right and I've basically wasted my life in this place repeating a constant cycle.

"I'll come. I mean if the organization says it's all right." I'm suddenly stumbling back when Nala wraps her arms around my neck in a hug and something about the way that her body presses against mine makes my heart pump faster and my arms hesitantly make their way to her waist.

"On one condition" she pulls back a little to look me in the eyes.

"Anything."

"I don't jump off cliffs. Not my form of adrenaline." Her eyes scrunch up as she smiles and lifts up a pinky between the two of us.

"Deal."

Please vote and comment!!

And follow me on Instagram for updates and sneak peaks!!

@faruhway

❤️❤️Much Love