3.

3.
And so the Match Begins...
-•-

Percy Jackson •

"Well, see you later, Perseus," Annabeth said, stopped, glancing at me from over her shoulder. Then she continued walking.

Perseus? How did she know that? I wondered.

"Hey, Percy," Frank Zhang said. "Coach is calling you." He then pointed to the angry and 5 feet tall Coach a little bit away from where we were currently standing.

"Oh, um, yeah. Thanks, Frank," I muttered before walking over to Coach Hedge.

The dude was furious. He held the baseball bat he always carried around and paced around, muttering something that I'm sure my mom wouldn't have agreed of. He was clutching on to the baseball bat so tightly that if someone came and tapped him on the shoulder, he would have probably swung it right at their face.

"What's up, Coach?" I asked coolly, maintaining some distance between the bot of us because it really wasn't on my todo list to have the chances of getting a baseball bat's hit permanently imprinted on my face.

Coach Hedge looked at me, steam almost bellowing out of his ears. "I'll tell you what's up, Jackson! I have to go teach baseball to a bunch of eighth graders, when I don't give a [BLEEP] about whatever they do!" He yelled.

"Woah, Coach! Language!" I said, half worried, but mostly amused. "Does that mean you won't be around to guide us for the match?"

"No, Jackson!" Coach Hedge exclaimed.

"Who's the substitute?" Coach Hedge pointed to an old woman who was just entering the court. My eyes went wide, my shoulders slack. "Mrs. Dodds?!"

"Mrs. Dodds," Coach confirmed.

"Shit."

Mrs. Dodds...man I hate her! She was my math teacher in grade six and I bet you she still hates me. And I didn't do anything! Okay....maybe I kept a whoopee cushion on her seat, and yeah, I did pour flour on her head but that's not the point. Besides, she just had the face someone could hate. So, it really isn't my fault. She was a nuisance to kids and her favorite was Nancy Bobofit. Like....why?! Nancy used to bully me all the time but once I got popular and more handsome, she's flirting with me.

"Shit indeed," Coach Hedge nodded. "You bimbos won't be able to function without me!"

I thought that was a little harsh but I didn't say anything, because god knows what Coach Hedge would say. He picked up his baseball bat and got ready to leave.

"Good luck. Y'all better play well while I'm gone," he said then walked away as I stared at him. He soon left the auditorium.

Jason came up to me. "What happened?" He asked.

"Coach Hedge-has baseball-needs-go-substitute is-Mrs. Dodds," I explained hurriedly, making the sentence sound like an extremely big word.

"Oh sugar honey ice tea!" Frank groaned, popping up between me and Jason.

"Oh sugar honey ice tea?! What era are you in Frank, the 80s?" Jason said, chuckling, teasing the boy who looked like the life-size version of a grumpy Asian cuddly bear.

Frank folded his arms grumpily, looking like a Chinese Buddha who achieved enlightenment but wasn't happy about it. "I was with Hazel yesterday, you know! And she wouldn't be happy if I swore," he replied.

"So dude, you and Hazel," I said with extra eyebrow wiggling. "How's the love life goin' so far?"

"Uh, the-the match is gonna s-start! W-we gotta go!" Frank said hurriedly and walked away.

Jason laughed. "Oh, Frank..."

"Yeah," I said grinning. "But Frank was right, we have to go. Match will start soon..."

Sure enough, Mrs. Dodds was coming up to the center of the auditorium and she held a whistle in her hands. She clapped her hands, as if this was a classroom and all the students and spectators who were sitting to watch the match would become silent at once. Everyone continued to talk. She then groaned and blew the whistle in her hands loudly and everyone shut up at once.

"Thank you," she said curtly, but in a way as if she was higher than anyone else. "As you know, the Goode Gorgons and the Stanford Snipers will be fighting for the trophy for the school championship, presented by our very own Goode!" she continued with no enthusiasm.

All the Goode students ignored her and loudly cheered, the Stanford students clapped in honour of Goode.

"Okay now," Mrs. Dodds said, but no one seemed to hear her. "Shut up, shut up, shut up!"

A silence hushed over the crowd.

"Now, let's call the captains of both teams: Perseus Jackson, captain of the Goode Gorgons, and Annabeth Chase, captain of the Stanford Snipers."

Both schools cheered for their respective captains, as me and Annabeth walked towards Mrs. Dodds. Out of the corner of his eye, I saw Rachel wink at me from the crowd and I blushed, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. She managed to come for the match!

"Captains, shake hands," Mrs. Dodds said.

Me and Annabeth shook hands, though her grip seemed a bit rigid. Her grey eyes were colder than ever and I wished to see a bit of friendliness in them, but nope!

"Don't think you're gonna win, okay?" I said cheekily, grinning, pulling my hand away and running it through my hair.

"Yeah, whatever," Annabeth said rolling her grey eyes, her blond hair, tied in a ponytail, tumbled down her back. "We'll see."

Then she whispered something I could only hear. "Try and chase the trophy, Perseus."

-•-

YOU: Woah! Mystic, is this an update of Slam Dunk I see?!

Yep, Mysticorns! I finally updated!!!
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Signing out, its ya girl,
Scarlet Rose