Scout Design: Mr. Ackerman

Author's note: hello everyone! Phantoms and Angels part 3 will be after this oneshot, for those who are waiting for that. Just an FYI.

This oneshot also is AU and will probably be quite long and it's Part one of maybe two or three.

Edit: Feb 2019. I understand that I wrote Rivialle or whatever and Levi is two different names. 4 YRS later, I get that it's not but I'm not gonna fix it. Soooo, lol can we not make more comments on it.

Part One

*********************************************

11:42pm.

You were nearing six hours of overtime and it didn't look like you would be done with your third design proposal for a while. You were the last person in your office and had been for nearly four hours. At the moment, you were staring blankly at one of the eleven open tabs you had on the internet, scouring for some inspiration. In your hands you were absently twirling your pen around your fingers, hardly concentrating on the task and more concerned with how tired you felt.

"I need coffee..." you said suddenly to yourself. You glanced at your small stack of magazines for interior design and sighed. Rubbing your eyes, you stood up to head to the break room.

It had been only six months since you transferred into the company and this was your first major assignment. Prior to now, you had been mostly support for the other designers, between taking care of the budgeting to offering opinions on furniture choices and placement to even drawing up an occasional proposal when needed but this was the first job you've been given where you had full reign. This was the make or break assignment; if you messed this one up, you'd be the joke of the office and maybe even let go. Scout Design was one of the best interior design companies in the country; many hospitality industries, businesses, and wealthy home owners sought out Scout Design for renovations and new interiors.

The client was a new hotel, looking to Scout Design to come up with the entire interior for guests. This included the lobby, the multi-purpose rooms, and the hotel rooms themselves. The project was enormous in scale and you, therefore, had the support of your boss, who was the top designer in the company.

You blinked to clear out some haze in your eyes and waited for the coffee to brew while your thoughts wandered to your boss.

Mr. Ackerman was basically the office "asshole." However, that fact didn't negate that he was also ridiculously good at his job. You'd even venture to say he was married to it. He was tough on his designers, expecting nothing less than perfection and had no issue being outright cruel with his words with every single one of you. If he wasn't snapping at one person, he was laying into another. For good reason though; Mr. Ackerman has received quite a few prestigious awards for his designs.

It was well known in the office that the harder he was on an employee meant that he felt that person had skill.

And to your misfortune, he was extremely hard on you from the day you stepped into that office. Within five minutes of arriving, he had quizzed you intensely on various topics, ranging anything from budgeting to your degree. You were tough, but even you had to hold back some tears as he ripped into you that morning. It had been a humiliating experience, since it was in front of the entire staff and several questions you did not know the answers to. However, you were consoled by your coworkers later that you held your own quite well compared to others.

The fact that Mr. Ackerman assigned you this large scale assignment only six months in gave you hope though. It meant he found merit in your work and now was testing you. You were anxious, of course, especially since your more seasoned coworkers all wanted this job. That aside, your boss was your supporting help for the project, and you knew in the long haul, that was good for you so that you wouldn't miss any of the finer details.