Shooting Stars

You could feel yourself smile as Sasha dragged you along the corridors of headquarters, of course talking incessantly of food. Mikasa was striding alongside you, a similar expression on her face, while Krista was ahead of all of you, occasionally flashing you an encouraging grin. These three girls meant the world to you and you had no idea what you would do without them. Sure, they were young, maybe five years or more younger than you and still just teenagers, but you adored them nonetheless. Ever since they joined the Scout Regiment, you've taken them under your wing, teaching them the etiquette and pitfalls of this branch of the military.

Mikasa didn't need much take care of though; she was a strong, prideful young woman who only cared about keeping Eren and Armin safe above all else. Sasha liked you mostly because you snuck her food a lot, especially meat. You and her have stolen more food than you'd care to share, only been caught by Levi once. You both suffered laps for that and no meals for a full day. You figured you got off easy though. Krista was the closest one to you of the three, having always needed someone to care for her. You could tell early on she was a broken soul and you wanted to reach out to her.

Today had been a busy day and although the sun had set over headquarters, you were still being hauled around by your closest friends. Not that you minded, since they were beautiful people, but you couldn't fathom what else what you could do with the day.

"We've been celebrating my birthday practically since dawn," you said with an amused sigh. "What else could we possibly be doing?"

"Shush you," said Sasha, tugging harder. "Today is special so we have every right to celebrate all day long."

You rolled your eyes but made no effort to reply.

"What did Levi do for you today, (f/n)?" Krista asked to switch subjects on your behalf. She giggled for a second. "Did he propose yet?"

Heat rushed to your cheeks but you laughed. "What!? No way. We only have been together for a year so..." you trailed off, flustered. "Anyways, he took me to a nearby lake and we had a picnic there. It was cute."

Krista clapped her hands together in delight. "That's so sweet!" she exclaimed. "What a good boyfriend."

Mikasa spoke up with an amused smirk. "Birthday sex."

"Mikasa!!!" you said, horrified. You weren't sure if that was supposed to be a question but you weren't very sure how she knew that. If anyone, Mikasa had no problem teasing her superior and you hated how flustered you could get by that.

"Well?" she pressed. You knew your cheeks were bright red and you stumbled over your words. No matter what you said, you knew they knew.

Sasha whirled around, cutting you off mid sentence, and gripped your hands in hers while her eyes were bright with hunger. You leaned back to gain back some of your personal space, curious as to what she was doing. "Who cares about the sex? What food did Levi make you!?"

"Seriously!?" you exclaimed, though you shouldn't have expected anything less from "Potato Girl."

"Not everything is about food, Sasha. Goodness..." Krista laughed goodnaturedly.

Somehow, the four of you managed to make it outside where the land was draped in darkness. Stars painted the night sky by the thousands and the only light was that of the full moon. It was a bit chilly out because it was relatively late into the night, so you were glad you wore long sleeves. You looked around and found all your friends standing there, holding tiny sticks and a bunch of large boxes were scattered along the grass. You spotted Levi easily enough; he looked vaguely disinterested and you eyed him curiously.

"Happy birthday, (f/n)!!!"

Before you understood what was happening, everyone's tiny sticks came to life with different colored sparks. You looked to the three girls beside you and even they had sparklers set off. The whole group began singing the birthday song for you, waving around their sparklers in whatever fashion each person deemed necessary.