Chapter THIRTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

            I feel my cheeks heat up. First thing I learn about this thing, I don’t like being complimented when I talk about love. It’s just so embarrassing on my part that I can’t prevent myself but just blush. Sometimes words are going to leave me behind with nothing else on my mind when before this, I have so many things to say.

            “Theo is so lucky to have you,” she adds  as an afterthought.

            “Now, now, Chloe. This one is all about you. Stop inserting me and my situation in it. It’s different,” I say with a small laugh.

            “I’m just so happy for you. You found your prince charming and you’re not even looking for one!” She sighs dreamily. “I wish I’ll find mine, too.”

            I smile then. “Why don’t we hang out today? The two of us only?” I ask, emphasizing the word only in case she’s going to bring someone with her again and ruin our best friend bonding time.

            “Sure. Can you pick me up instead? I don’t want to bring my car.”

            “Yeah. I’ll see later then. Bye.”

            I lean on the windowsill and just stare at Theo sitting on the yard. He is holding his phone, probably texting his parents and letting them know how he is.

            I walk over to my closet and get the clothes I’m going to wear. Everything is turning okay now. I hope there’s no more bad news coming.

                                                                               * * *

Since mom and dad are still at Mrs. Leona’s house and Theo is sitting on the swing-chair on the porch, I decide to exit the house through the back door. My car is parked on the front yard but Theo won’t see me once I get in. It’s not that I’m avoiding him or anything. I just don’t want him to ask me questions on where I’m going or who am I seeing. There are fewer guys—about zero percentage of guys’ population here—who are interested in me. After all, they still think I’m Reese, the cynical gal who hates everything.

            I want this day to be Theo-free, if I can call it that way.

            As I go downstairs with light steps, I hear Theo talking over to the phone. He is now in the living room, which makes it harder for me to sneak out. I can say that I’m just going to get some water but with what I’m wearing, I don’t think he is going to buy it.

            “Mom, I’m okay. Don’t worry about me… I’m being good, geez,” Theo says over the phone. I can’t help but smile at how embarrass he is. If he finds out that I heard him, he will surely flip.

            I get that chance to sneak outside. But when I’m almost—almost, like just about to twist the back door’s knob—out, I hear Theo calls out my name.

            “You’re going out?” he asks.

            I turn around with an awkward smile; hopefully he doesn’t notice how awkward it is. “Going out with Chloe?” I say, but it comes out more of a question.

            “With Chloe? You two are okay now?” he asks, coming closer to me. He stops near the countertop and crosses his arms on top of it. “Aren’t you even going to tell me?” He has a puppy eyes looking back at me. I don’t really buy that kind of look. It’s not cute. Not at all.

            I cross my arms over my chest. “Yes, we’re okay now and about your next question… well…” I trail off. I look anywhere but him. “I’m going to… but later,” I say, shrugging.