Chapter ELEVEN

Chapter ELEVEN

I don’t think what I am feeling right now is something that has to do with love. Maybe it’s just because I can see how he loves his mom so much. Or maybe that feeling is just for friendship. Who knows, right? All I can say is that, it’s impossible to fall for someone within a span of two weeks. That’s just impossible.

               I pick up my phone and finally get the chance to call my best friend. When she picks up, I ask right away, “I thought you’re going to rehab?”

               “Oh, that,” she says, the tone of her voice is something that I don’t like.

               “Chloe, you better—”

               “I’m not going anymore,” she says. I can’t believe her. “And did you receive my e-mail?”

               “Of course I received it. That’s why we’re talking right now. Why you’re not going to rehab anymore?” She was so depressed the last time I saw her and now she’s telling me that she’s not going?

               “Well, you know. Someone helped me instead. And… I think I’m not that depressed. It’s just you who exaggerated that I’m depressed and all.”

               I roll my eyes. That is partly true. Well, she’s crying for two straight weeks and then I thought I was able to cheer her up after a week, but she cried all over again. So I assumed that she was depressed and had to go to rehab. Maybe I was wrong for assuming but I just wanted her to get better as soon as possible. I don’t want her to continuously cry over someone who doesn’t even look back at her.

               "And what is the thing that you're going to say, then?" I ask. I kinda have the feeling of where she's going. I hope that's not it, of course. But when she said each word, I think she has lost her mind already.

               "Walter and I got back together," she says as slowly as possible.

               I don't say anything first. It occurs to me that whatever I say to my best friend, it is still her decision if she's going back to that jerk or not. And apparently, she's too nice that she can't say no to the guy.

               "Reese, don't be mad. It's just... You know, how I love him," Chloe says. I still remain quiet. Why does guys have to be like that? And why does girls have to be like that as well?

               "You don't need my opinion anyway. I won't say that I'm happy for you. It's not something that I should be proud of," I say, feeling my chest constrict in pain. This feeling is for my best friend because she doesn't know what she's doing and obviously, she's not thinking straight. "You know that that guy cheated on you and yet, you got back together." I shrug, standing up and getting out of my room. I need some fresh air so I go to the backyard where the hammock is.

               "Reese, I know what I'm doing."

               "Don't come crying to me after this because I'm only going to say—"

               She interrupts me, "I told you so. Yes, ma'am, I know."

               I'm not mad at her. I don't need to be mad for her decision. "Good. At least we're understanding each other," I say to lighten up the mood. She laughed on the other line, making me laugh as well.

               I was about to say something when I hear Theo's voice.

               "Thought I've seen you get out," he says, coming closer to where I am.