Chapter FOURTEEN

Chapter FOURTEEN

I open my eyes slowly, looking around. It feels like there are tons of heavy materials in my head. My body feels so helpless too.

                “Thank God you’re awake,” I hear grandma says.

                My head turns to where I hear her voice. She looks so worried. “What’s wrong?”

                “Why didn’t you tell me you’re sick? And then you let yourself get wet in the rain. What are you thinking?” she scolds but there is still a sign of worry in it.

                I don’t remember getting sick. “I’m sick?” I ask, more to myself though. I feel okay yesterday.

                Theo comes in in my room with a tray in hand. “Good morning, dear Reese. Here’s your breakfast and I made it especially for you,” he says, putting it down on my nightstand. I try sitting up but it hurts my head. “Let me help you.” He supports my back, arranging my pillows on the headboard.

                “Thanks,” I mumble. I remember fighting with him and it’s so weird to talk to him like nothing has happened. If he can do it, I can’t. “You can go now,” I say now, not even looking at him.

                “I’ll go,” grandma says. “I’ll be back later for your medicine, okay? Eat your breakfast so you’ll regain your energy again.” She kisses me on my forehead before leaving me and Theo in my room.

                “You were boiling hot last night that grandma has to stay up late.” He sighs as he sits on the edge of my bed. “How are you feeling?”

                “Fine, I guess,” I answer.

                “Why did you even go out without bringing an umbrella or a raincoat or something? You were sick the other day,” he informs me. “I thought it was just your body heat, you know. I didn’t realize you were sick at that time already.”

                “I’m not sick,” I say, snapping. “I don’t feel sick.”

                “You don’t feel it but your body is almost giving up on you,” he says, his voice rising up a notch. “The day we watched a movie, that’s the day I’m telling you were sick. You should stop sleeping so late in the evening. It’s not healthy.”

                “And who are you to say those things to me? You’re not even my friend.” We stare at each other. I can’t go on with this thing going on in me. I have to find a way to make Theo stay away from me.

                “I know I’m nowhere near as an acquaintance to you but can you at least consider my feelings? I care about you and yet you’re pushing me away.” I’ve never seen him this angry before. He doesn’t really look angry but more frustrated. This is good. I only have to get more to his nerves and for sure he will stop everything that he is doing.

                “You know my answer to that. I don’t need you. You are the only one who’s pushing yourself to me,” I shout at him. I am sick but he’s making me mad.

                “Whatever you say, Reese. I won’t go away and I will still continue what I have started.” He stands up and heads for the door. Before getting out, he says, “I’ll still make you believe in love.”

                I ruffle my hair, grumbling under my breath. Why can’t I make him go? My summer is turning on the other direction already. The direction where I’m not supposed to go. The direction that I’ve been avoiding.