Chapter ONE ☼

Chapter ONE ☼

I hate love.

There's a lot of reason why I hate love.

My mom and dad broke up before I was even born. My best friend is going through rehab because of heartbreak (I don't know the whole story about it). I think wars happening all around the world count, too.

That's why I don't believe in love as well. It is just all fairy tales. Those happily ever after? True love's kiss? Love at first sight? Destiny? Those are all bunch of imaginations that our minds made.

I have never been in love. Never was and never will. Those pain that I saw through every person I know, it's all because of love. Why would I even want to get hurt? The lesser the pain, the better. And besides, I'm enjoying my life as it is.

It's my favorite time of the year again and I am going to my grandma's place - New Zealand. I love it there. Less people, less pollution, and a lot of sheep. It's fun herding those sheep.

When I am packing my things, mom enters my room and asks me, "When will I know you have a boyfriend?"

That question surprises me. I don't have a boyfriend! I stand up quickly and answers her, "You will never see me having one, mom."

"Reese, you're eighteen now-"

"So?" I can't believe I am having a discussion like this with my mom.

"I want to see you enjoy your life," she says, sitting on my bed and helping me put my clothes in my suitcase.

I didn't stop with what I am doing. "I don't need to have a boyfriend to enjoy life. I am enjoying every second of my life." I can't believe this is really happening.

"Sweetie-"

"Mom," I cut her off. I stop now and walk to her. I place my hand on top of hers. "Mom, really. I'm good. And why are you even asking me to have a boyfriend? I don't need to have one. My life is great."

She holds my gaze for a while. "Sweetie, I just don't want you to regret this in the future. You know, love is beautiful..."

"And yet, dad left you," I retort. This is getting nowhere already. "Mom, don't tell me that love is beautiful when in the first place, you don't set a good example. Love... that's just imagination. Fairy tale. It only exists on one's mind. I don't have to think about that. I live in reality."

I don't want to hurt my mom's feelings by saying those words. It is just what I see. I don't want to believe something I haven't seen.

She stands up now, smiles at me before going out of my room. I feel bad sometime for mom. She believes too much about love that it gets her to nowhere. Now she's stuck with someone like me who doesn't even give a damn about it.

There might be times that Chloe (my best friend) showed me how great love is. But when she and her boyfriend broke up just a month ago, I know I am right about love. It only give someone pain. So experiencing it is not really necessary as I don't want to get hurt.

I double check all the things that I will need before finally getting out of my room. Mom is sitting on the couch but then she stands up when she sees me. "You really don't want me to take you to the airport?" she asks, coming closer.

"Mom, it's okay. I'll just call you when I get there and when I arrive at grandma's. Don't worry. I'll be fine. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy my vacation there. The last time I was there was before high school so I'm really excited," I exclaim.