Chapter TEN

Chapter TEN

I can’t take my eyes off of Mrs. Perkins. She’s smiling while Uncle Lucas tells her a story. I’m amaze to see her acting that way like she has no problem at all. I wish my mom can smile like that as well. She’s maybe okay but I can see that she’s not and maybe she’s still thinking of getting back to my father. But for the sake of me, she chooses not to anymore.

              We don’t need that kind of man in the family. He’s an asshole and wants nothing but money. It’s a good thing that he has shown his true personality earlier. That way, it doesn’t hurt me that much. And I’m happy to what I am right now. Hating guys and the thought of love is okay for me. It will only mean that I have to think of it less.

              “So, Reese, how’s your mom?” Uncle Lucas asks.

              “Oh, she’s fine. Like the usual,” I answer, rolling the pasta to my fork.

              “Why didn’t she come with you?”

              I shrug. “She has a lot of things to do at her work. And I won’t enjoy my summer if she’s here.”

              “Ah. I know what you mean,” Uncle Lucas comments, winking at me. I blush a little at that thought.

              One time, mom visited me—I think that was the last time I had my vacation before this one—and she was like, “Reese, you should get yourself a boyfriend here. Guys your age here are so nice.” I was so embarrassed at that time, not only because mom wanted to play cupid, but because all of our family friends were here. I decided to forget that day from then on.

              "Dad, Reese and I have to go somewhere around three," Theo butts in. Her mom looks at him solemnly, like she is telling him to stay.

              So, I say, "You know what, Theo? I think we should just stay here. Let's, uh, watch a movie, maybe? What do you think Mrs. Perkins?" She turns towards me and slowly, a smile creeps to her face. It makes me smile as well. I like making people smile.

              "Her name's Joan," Uncle Lucas tells me.

              I nod to him. "So, what do you think, Joan?" I ask again. She stands from her seat and walks right up to me. Her soft hands hold me, making me stand up. I look over to Uncle Lucas and Theo who are both smiling at us.

              Joan leads me to the living room. There are lots of DVD piled near the television. She gets the third one and hands it towards me. It's The Notebook.

              I smile at her and say, "So you like this movie?" She just nods. "Well, let's watch this, then."

              I never thought I will meet someone like her. Even though we just met for an hour, I feel myself get comfortable with her already. From that short time, she is so nice to me and I'm feeling a little sad that she feels so guilty about her sister's death. I wonder what happened to them.

              "What are you going to watch?" Uncle Lucas emerges with Theo in tow. Joan waved the DVD to them. "Ah, the notebook again," he says, amusement filling his voice.

              I pull Joan to the couch as Uncle Lucas sets the DVD in. Theo sits beside me, grinning widely.

              He whispers, "Thank you."

              I smile back at him, tapping his cheek. "It's good. I like your mom."

              "She likes you, too," he pauses. His eyes hold my gaze and I can't help but stare at him. "And it will be greater if you came to like me, too, so I can date you," he adds.