Chapter THIRTY-TWO

Chapter THIRTY-TWO

“This is so fun!” Chloe giggles as we walk towards the cinema. We decide to watch a movie first before we do some shopping.

               The guy she’s with is Ben. It’s  the same guy she met at the supermarket she mentioned to me before. I just never got the time to ask her the name and the likes. But now, as I see him with her, I think Chloe’s happy with him. They both made it clear, though, that they are not dating. Just friends until they are both ready.

               “I’ll buy the ticket. You two buy the popcorn, okay?” Chloe says. She waves at us before heading to the ticket counter which has a too long line.

               “So, shall we?” Ben says, gesturing for me to walk first.

               I nod at him. He follows just beside me. I don’t know what to say exactly. I’ve never been this close to a guy before.

               Before, when I still hated guys, any guy that would attempt to get this close to me is getting hurt. I don’t want any of them to even breathe the same air I’m breathing.

               When we get to the popcorn stand, it’s Ben who insists on paying the popcorn. He smiles towards me. It’s a sweet kind of smile. No wonder Chloe falls for this guy.

               Wow. Am I really Reese? How did I know his smile the sweet kind?

               I am really turning into a girl who giggles, swoon over a guy and the likes. It’s kind of scary as I think about it. I’m still in the pace of figuring out everything close to that. After all, I’ve been avoiding guys for nine years. Nine years! Can you believe that? It’s a really long time.

               I walk back to where Chloe is still standing. The line hasn’t moved even a bit. The one on the ticketing is a slow poke, I can tell. But before I can even make two more step away, someone pulls me by the arm.

               I look back and see that the hand belongs to Ben. My brows crease towards his direction as I ask, “What are you doing?”

               He smiles, but it’s not the kind of smile that I saw earlier. It’s forced and there’s something else. I think I don’t want to hear it.

               “Chloe is gorgeous, don’t get me wrong,” he says. He is still holding my arm.

               I brush him off and cross my arms, raising an eyebrow. “I know that. But why are you saying this to me?”

               I don’t like the feeling I’m feeling.

               He shrugs. There’s a slight smirk forming on the corner of his lips. “But you’re more gorgeous,” he says.

               I’m surprised but I hide it away. Deep inside, I’m infuriating. Doesn’t he know that I’m Chloe’s best friend? Almost technically, they are dating already even they admit it or not. He should know better than you can’t just say you’re more gorgeous to the best friend of the girl you’re seeing.

               “Excuse me?” I query, just to clear his mind. Maybe it’s just a bit clog and maybe he’s confused.

               “You are more gorgeous. I can’t stop looking at you,” he says, confirming what I’m thinking.