Chapter TWENTY

Chapter TWENTY

The next day I woke up feeling lightheaded again. Whatever happened last night will stay last night. I don’t want to frustrate myself anymore. I am only here for summer and my friends. I don’t want to think of anything else other than that.

              Since I’ve been missing out a lot of this summer, I call Izzy and Kate.

              “Hey, how’s it going?” Izzy asks.

              “Can you come over today? You, Kate and bring Scott if you want to,” I say.

              “What’s going on?”

              “Nothing. Can’t I just invite my friends over?”

              “I know something is up, Reese. Maybe it has something to do with Theo?”

              “No. We’re fine.” I let out a forced chuckle.

              “Fine. If you say so. Oh, can I bring Cory, too? He’s been asking how are you, you know.”

              I don’t answer for a while. If they invite Cory along while Theo is in the house, will that be awkward for the three of us? Especially Theo punched Cory.

              “Hello? Reese to earth?”

              “Sorry. Uh, sure?” I say, sounding even unsure about it.

              “Why am I feeling that something is really up?” Izzy asks curiously.

              “Hey, who’s that?” I hear Kate on the other line.

              “It’s Reese,” she says to her sister. “Hey. She’s inviting us over,” she adds as an after thought.

              “Cool. We’ll come over, Reese,” Kate says to me now.

              “Okay. We’ll come over. Do tell us what’s going on later. Bye,” Izzy says before hanging up.

              I sigh as I get up.

              When I open my door, Theo just pass by my room.

              “Good morning,” he says.

              I raise an eyebrow. Maybe he has moved on to what happened last night. “Good morning,” I answer, passing by him. I enter the kitchen and see Grandma making breakfast. “Good morning, grandma. What’s for breakfast?” I greet her. I open the fridge to get something to drink. Hmm… Chocolate drink?

              “I’m making crepe with orange syrup,” she says.

              “Wow. That sounds delicious. So, grandma, my friends are coming over today and I was wondering…”

              “Sure, sure. Do you want me to…”

              “No, it’s fine. You can stay if you want. I mean, we’re just going to be outside at the backyard, you know.”

              “Okay then. What do you want me to cook for you and your friends?” she asks, smiling.

              “Anything. You know they eat whatever you cook for them. And besides, it’s just Izzy, Kate, Scott and Cory—”