Chapter TWENTY-SIX

Chapter TWENTY-SIX

Theo’s POV

I don’t know what has gotten into my mind. It’s never my intention to hurt such a sweet girl like Reese. I never meant to kiss that girl she saw me with. Her face just popped in my head and I thought that that girl was her. How can I be such a fool?

              When Cory found out what happened, he threw a punch at my face right away. I didn’t fight back. What’s the use? It was my fault anyway. I was more than glad that he knocked some senses out of my stupid brain.

              Reese is this close to my heart, but why did I let myself deceived by my stupid thinking that maybe she is right? Why did I get it inside my head that everything she’s saying is the right thing? She said that she wouldn’t believe in love and never in a million years will she believe that not all guys are the same. But I won. I made her believe in those but I was the one who had to break it all apart.

              So now, I’m pacing at my room back and forth, thinking of some ways on how will I convince Reese that I made a huge mistake for kissing that girl I barely even know. I have to be smart, say the right words. Reese is definitely mad at me and I can’t afford to make her madder. What can I do, though? If she doesn’t want to listen to me, or even see me first hand, how am I going to apologize to her?

              Think, Theo.

              And thankfully, an imaginary light bulb flashed on top of my head.

              It’s now or never so I have to make the most of it.

The moment I step a foot outside of my mom’s house, I feel a little queasy. This is not easy at all—asking mom for some help so that the girl of my life will somehow believe me. But for Reese, I’m going to do everything to get her back and her trust.

              When I’m about to knock, the door opens right away, as if the wooden thing knows what I’m thinking. Mom is standing just by her door, a little surprise. Then she says, “Let me guess…”—she taps her index finger to her jaw then points it out to me—“…you need help.”

              Mother instinct, I guess.

              I nod, a little embarrassed, a little bit nonchalant. What else should I feel?

              “You know, there’s a saying for every girl that a way to the man’s heart is through their stomach. What about a saying for every guy? How do guys get to girls’ hearts?” she asks, almost like a challenge because she’s smirking at me, with her arms cross over her chest.

              I still wonder how she got to talk again. In most cases like hers, it usually takes months or even years before someone can finally talk again. When her and dad said that it was all because of Reese, I feel blessed. That girl is beyond amazing. So I really wonder how she can hate guys all at the same time for the same reason for years. But then again, I think she already mentioned that to me. She has reasons, of course. And the top of it is her dad. I can’t imagine what she had gone through for her to hate her father like that.

              “So?” mom prompts. I almost forget what I’m doing outside her room. She smiles, gets out of her room and pulls me down with her. We go to the kitchen; she gestures me to sit down.

              “I don’t know,” I say, in a way as an answer for the question.

              “Actually, for me?” she gets two cups from the cupboard and pour us both a hot chocolate. “There’s no other way to get to a girl’s heart but straight to it. That’s the difference between a boy and a girl—which is, to be honest, a little unfair.”