Chapter THIRTEEN

Chapter THIRTEEN

I wonder why there has to be rain during summer. Well, I know we can avoid rain even if it summer but it has some timing, you know. Just when I want to go to the beach, it rained. So now, I’m stuck here in the house with a talking Theo beside me. Even if I’m not paying attention to what he is saying, he still continues talking.

               Grandma, as usual, is doing her crochet. She’s just right beside me as well. I can hear her chuckling to some of Theo’s blabbing.

               “And Reese—”

               “Can’t you really keep your mouth shut?” I snap at him now. He is wide-eyed, mouth hanging open. I think there’s something that he is about to say.

               He purses his lips before grinning. “Can’t you stop snapping?” he says, almost imitating me.

               “Ugh! You’re annoying!”

               “And you’re so cute when mad,” he says, pinching my cheek.

               “You did not—”

               “Pinch your cheek? I just did, Reese deary,” he says with a chuckle.

               Reese deary? Who does he thinks he is to give me an awful nickname?

               “You—”

               But grandma gets in between us now. “Reese, calm down. Theo’s just trying to bond with you,” she says but not leaving her eyes on her crochet.

               I can’t believe that my grandma is on Theo’s side. Why is everyone on Theo’s side? Am I the bad person here?

               But before I can even say my part, my phone rings. “It’s mom,” I say, picking it up.

               “Put it on loudspeaker,” grandma says.

               “What? You gotta be kidding me.”

               “No, I’m not kidding, Reese. Now put it on loudspeaker.” I don’t have any say on this, so I answer my phone and put it on loudspeaker.

               “Why did you take so long to answer?” is what my mom says first.

               I groan internally. “Mom—”

               “Hello, mom of Reese,” Theo says over the phone. My eyes widen in shock. “How are you?” he asks.

               I hear mom chuckles on the other line. “I’m good. You must be Theo.”

               What is happening? I can’t let mom and Theo get along as well. Mom will surely tell him everything about me. That will also mean that she will play cupid and Theo will just go with the flow with her plans. Oh no. I’m not allowing that to happen.

               I pick up my phone and turn off the loudspeaker. “I have to talk to my mom,” I say, standing up from the couch and out to the backyard. Then I remember it is raining, so I go to my room instead

               “What? Grandma also wants to talk to her. I want to talk to her,” Theo says.

               I shake my head. “Grandma will talk to her after me but you won’t. You’re not allowed.” I walk away now with a smug look on my face. It’s so good to feel this way. I like Theo getting defeated.