Chapter SEVENTEEN

Chapter SEVENTEEN

The house phone rings. I pick it up right away because it might be mom missing me again. But when I hear cries over the phone, I know I'm up for some lecturing right now. This is going to happen but I don't expect it to be so soon. Chloe is my best friend and that jackass named Walter should've stayed as her ex-boyfriend.

"So, are you going to say something or should I guess?" I ask her. She knows this will happen. Chloe is not a dumb girl. She is a smart one but I don't know why, when it comes to love, she becomes dumb and stupid. I don't mean to offend my best friend or any other girl for that matter, I just think that sometimes, using the heart in deciding in love is just crazy. That's why we have a mind, right? And the mind is placed higher than the heart, for us to use it wisely. Both of them.

"Go on. Say it," she whimpers. I hate that I'm far from her. Even if I'm going to lecture her, she needs a best friend hug right now.

I shrug, sitting down on the couch. "I told you so," I say, not with a mocking tone but with the same concern tone I always have whenever I warned her. "So he did it again, huh?"

"Yeah. And when I caught him red-handed, he says I'm not good enough for hi..." She isn't able to finish the word because she starts crying frantically. I'm going to kill that asshole. How can he say that? Chloe is nice and beautiful. Not to mention, she's a cheerleader with high grades. How can he say that she's not good enough? What a dick.

"Chloe, listen to me."

"Okay."

"Chloe, I told you getting back with him was a stupid idea. Only an insane person would do that. And apparently, you, my best friend, is insane. I reminded you many times that he will do it again because that's what his type of guy do. Once they done it, it's going to repeat over and over again. I told you everything I have to tell you and yet you don't listen to me. If you'd listen, you wouldn't be crying like this for the second time with the same guy," I start my lecture on her.

"But he looks so convincing. If you were here and saw him plead-"

"Chloe, if I'm there and saw him plead to you, I'll kick his balls." She chuckles. "Don't laugh, missy. I will surely kick him there and tell him just to back off already. You're a smart girl; use your brain sometimes."

"I hate you for saying that," she says. I can tell that she is pouting as well. She has calm down a bit, but I can still hear some hiccups coming out of her mouth.

"I know you love me. So now, what's your plan?" I ask her. My lecture is not over. I just want to know what she wants to do next after knowing that jerk of an ex of her is nothing but a trash.

"I don't know," she mumbles. "I mean, I'm hurt right now. What do you think should I do?"

"Don't ask me. I'm here to put some senses in your brain, because seriously, you're throwing your knowledge away. Such a shame."

"How are you though?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, a little confused.

"Come on, Reese. You and I both know what we're talking about. You and Theo. That's what your e-mail is about, right?"

"Don't divert the problem to me. We'll talk about that later after we have sorted your little dilemma."

"Oh, this will be over."

"And then what? You're going to fall in love again and get your heart broken? Uh, no. I don't think so. Just stop right there."

"You can't make your heart stop beating, Reese. You will fall in love eventually."