5 | 10

I'd expected the Camaro I knew and love to appear from the side driveway that led behind the castle, but it didn't. In its place, came a silver Aston Martin, a smaller robot behind the wheel. The robot parked the Aston Martin beside the Lamborghini, getting out in a timely manner, approaching me. I was a little apprehensive but stayed calm as the robot came to a stop in front of me. "My lady, we've been expecting you."

The robot had a British accent. It was well built, shorter than me but with proportionate limbs and smooth metal surfaces, cogs visible in some places. "Uh- Excuse me?" The robot held out a hand, revealing a small pocket watch with the correct time displayed. "We had expected you at three pm, and it is now three pm. Follow me, my lady." I shot Will a confused look, and he just shrugged, following after us. The robot continued to talk as he led us up the immaculate front steps of the castle's front door.

"My name is Cogman, and I am Sir Edmund Burton's personal butler." So the rich guy who owned this place had a robotic butler? That is actually pretty awesome. "So... who's this Edmund guy?" Will stuck close to me as we entered the foyer of the beautiful castle. Cogman graciously ushered us in, shutting the grand doors behind us. "All in good time, my lady. If you will, there is a guest room waiting for you. Master Lennox, there is a congregation in the sitting room to your left."

I was still dumbfounded by the polite nature of this robot. And he spoke in such a regal tone; it was absolutely fascinating. "Now, follow me, my lady." Cogman motioned for me to follow him, and I didn't hesitate to do so. My bandaged wound ached a little as he led me down a long hallway, but I was too busy admiring the interior to focus on the pain. The floor of the hallway was polished marble, and portraits of people from all ages lined the walls. It really was marvellous. I hadn't seen something so beautiful in a long time.

"This room is yours, my lady. I believe there are a few of your personal belongings on the desk, and Master Lennox will be unavailable for the next ten minutes, so I suggest you make use of the connecting bathroom. There are clothes in your size in the wardrobe." Before I could even ask where he got my 'personal belongings', Cogman had already left me to my own devices. "Well then..." I had to say, the room was beautiful. The polished marble had stopped at the doorway, giving way to hardwood flooring, which was a rich dark brown.

Positioned in the centre of the room was a fluffy white rug, and back against the wall was a four poster bed, complete with white silk sheets and half a dozen pillows. It looked heavenly. But first, I wanted to check out my belongings. As Cogman had said, there was a black backpack resting on the mahogany desk in the corner of the room, and I approached it with caution. What on earth could be contained within? I hesitated before opening it, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I unzipped it.

Inside was my favourite hoodie, my old ring from Bee, a picture of Sam and I, and a Glock G29. I removed the pistol from the backpack, swallowing nervously as I checked for ammo. It was full. Instead of putting it down or stuffing it back in the backpack, I held onto it, staring at the barrel. My heart began to beat faster, the longer I stared at the weapon. Something inside me was urging me to fire it. Not at an enemy or one of the occupants of the castle- but at myself.

A sharp pain ripped its way through my brain, as I suddenly lifted the pistol, pressing it against my right temple. The barrel was cold against my skin, but it felt good. I wanted this. I needed this. Another sharp pain came, and this time, I heard a voice.

"Princess..." I had a gun to Bee's forehead. His holoform was lying on the floor, pinned down by my weight. My hands were shaking, and I could feel hot tears running down my cheeks. "Put the gun down, Rose..." Bee tried to reach over and stroke my arm in an attempt to calm me down, but I was too far gone. "Shut it!" I heard myself hiss the words, pressing the barrel of the gun against his forehead. The panic in his eyes had dissipated, replaced with a miserable cloud of grey. Instead of speaking again, he rested his head back against the floor, giving up. My index finger was twitching, hovering above the trigger.