3 | 1.12

January

Christmas passed rather smoothly, but dad decided to leave the lights up until the middle of January. Me and Sam's remaining days in South Gate were dwindling, and soon enough, New Years rolled up. I spent the entire day explaining the tradition of New Years to Bee. By the time the sun set, Bee was getting excited about the midnight countdown.

I'd been hanging with Bee outside for the afternoon, and it was getting pretty cold outside since the sun had set, but I leaned against Bee's hood in order to gain a little warmth from his idling altmode. The stars were brighter tonight, allowing us to see them easier than Christmas night.

"Bee, where is Cybertron?" I thought it would scare me, but I didn't jump when Bee's holoform appeared beside me, sitting on the edge of his hood. His arm was almost brushing against mine, but that didn't matter to me. I wasn't too fussed on personal space unless it was my parents or Sam.

"I doubt you'd be able to see it from Earth. It's far away from here." His voice suddenly quietened, and his arms crossed over his chest. "Very far away." I looked over to find Bee staring at the stars, a miserable look on his holoform's face.

"Bee?" He looked at me, the miserable expression softening immediately. "Sorry, it just happens sometimes. I miss home." I held out my arms to him, sitting down properly on his hood. He was still idling to keep his altmode warm, the engine rumbling beneath me.

His holoform happily stepped into my embrace, letting me hug him tightly. I kept forgetting that he wasn't from Earth. That all this, everything I called home, was foreign to him. I know I would feel depressed as hell if my home was taken from me.

"Bee, I won't try to understand what you're feeling, because I know I won't ever get close. But Earth could be your home. You know that, right?" His arms tightened around me, and I felt him sigh, his chest rising and falling with the motion.

"I know. For now, wherever you and Sam are, that's what I call home." He moved back, keeping his hands planted on his hood so he trapped me against it. "By the way, did you sit in a pile of sugar?" I shot Bee a confused look because I definitely hadn't sat in a pile of sugar recently. Or anytime for that matter.

"Cause you have a sweet aft." It took me a moment to process what he was saying, but an ugly snort left me once I realised. "Seriously? I'm already dating you, what else do you want?" Bit of an arbitrary question, but who cares? It's not like Bee was going to give me a straight answer.

Bee leaned in, and despite my nonchalance towards personal space, I still leaned back out of shock. I'd moved with such velocity that my balance was thrown off, and my back hit Bee's hood. "Bee, what the hell?" The back of my head was aching from where it had landed on the metal, and I rubbed it in an attempt to sooth the pain.

"I'm sorry, Sam told me to just kiss you after I said the romantic line!" Bee backed off, allowing me to sit up and press gently on the back of my skull to check for any blood. Lucky for me, I'd gotten off lightly. "It's fine, I'm not injured."

I looked back to Bee, who was now trying his best not to laugh. "Bee, if you laugh, I'm gonna hit you so hard-" Before I could finish speaking, Bee burst out in laughter. "That's it- come here you piece of shit!" Bee bolted before I could get my hands on him.

| | |

"So did hitting Bee make you feel better?" The aching in the back of my head had subsided by now, and we were only minutes away from midnight. "A little bit, yeah." The holoform of my boyfriend was currently glaring at me from across the room, my mother checked the red welt on his left shoulder.

"Oh come on you big baby, I barely touched you!" My mother cleared him as completely fine, and he made his way over to me and Sam. "Rose, you're lucky I love you." He held out an arm, curling it around my shoulders as I stepped closer to him. "Believe me, I'm flattered."

The TV suddenly changed from late night news to the countdown to midnight. Bee got all excited. "What happens when it hits zero?" I slyly looked at Sam, catching his little smirk. "Well, the tradition goes that you have to kiss the person nearest to you. It's a form of good luck for the next year." Bee grinned, squeezing my shoulders. "That sounds like fun!"

I turned my attention back to the countdown, Sam taking a seat on the couch with mom. "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six," Everyone started to chant along with the countdown, and Mojo and Frankie were already ducking under the table in preparation for the fireworks.

"Five, four," Bee suddenly removed his arm from my shoulders, turning me to face him. "Three, two," The chanting faded into the distance as my eyes found his. "One-" I closed my eyes, letting myself lean into Bee. "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Warm lips came in contact with mine, and it was a familiar feeling, kissing Bee's holoform. One I could definitely get used to.

Fireworks were being lit outside in our neighbourhood, bursts of colourful chemicals filling the night sky for miles. But all that didn't matter. I was solely focused on one thing, and that was Bee. The feeling of his lips moulded against mine, the overwhelming scent of his holoform which reminded me of his altmode. The feeling of his rough hands holding my cheeks, his steady heartbeat under my hands; which now rested on his chest.

"Time to light the fireworks! Come on kids!" My lungs started to burn slightly, I definitely needed air. I pulled away, sucking in a greedy breath of air. "Come on you two!" Mom nudged my shoulder as she passed by, my eyes springing open at the physical contact. My eyes met Bee's again, and I examined the pools of unnaturally bright turquoise blue with each passing second.

"Happy New Year." The words floated from his mouth, voice laced with pure happiness. "Right back at you," I responded immediately, my words breathy and shaky in comparison to his deep, steady voice. His holoform flickered for a second, frightening me. Did something go wrong?

"What just happened?" Bee chuckled softly, taking my hand and walking with me outside. "My spark momentarily couldn't sustain my holoform due to excessive emotional response." We stopped by his altmode, watching Sam light one of the fireworks set up on our lawn. "In other words, I was so blinded by my attachment to you that I forgot to channel power to my holoform."

The firework went off, rocketing into the air before exploding in sparkles of blue and green. It was followed by several more colourful fireworks, and eventually, me falling asleep against Bee in the early hours of the morning.

| | |

With the new year came the end of our Winter Break. Mom and Dad tearfully said goodbye to us at the airport, and I hugged Mojo tightly with Frankie in mom's arms. "Remember to call us when you get back to Princeton!"

Sam and I said our goodbyes, Bee already having left for Princeton earlier this morning. He'd gotten just a few hours of recharge after the New Year countdown, and he'd left for New Jersey at 6 am. Hopefully, he would be waiting at the airport for us.

| | |

As I'd hoped, we'd found Bee parked in the domestic terminal. It was the afternoon, and I could tell Bee was tired. He took us back to Princeton, and I made sure to thank him for the ride before leaving him to recharge, taking my suitcase up to my dorm.

Leo was there to welcome us back, and immediately starting rattling on about some new hot girl on campus to Sam. There was a content feeling residing in my heart since I'd just spent a holiday with my family, both human and militia. And the Autobots, of course. Life was moving on, and I was finally able to take it day by day, without worry of a future battle with the Decepticons.

~*~

That's it for Part One! DoTM will officially start in the next part. I also just downloaded The Last Knight from Pirate Bay since it came out on DVD a few days ago, and hoo boy, it's gonna be a fun one to write.

Thanks for all the support! Don't forget to let me know if you're enjoying it!