Chapter Six

The day of the trial:

"As the basic level of apprenticeship in my pharmacy, all apprentices would have to pass a test. Your test is very easy. You just have to follow this set of instructions into making a potion. If you succeed, you are free to stay. Otherwise, please help youself to the door. You have 2 hours to complete the potion. You may begin. " Doctor Ito announced.

Akira then mouths a simple good luck to him before proceeding to the side.

Taking that as his cue to begin, Yuzuru start to read the procedures.

1. Grind the Hate Thyme with whatever does the job for you and put the result in a cup. Add a dash of preboiled water to turn it into a thick emulsion, then add the Ash Ivy all at once.

2 Fill a pan with holy water, add the mixture and let it rest for a while. Wake up the mixture and bring it to a simmer.

3. After 10 minutes, add the Spring Pepper and River Savory, in that order. Gently warm up the mixture once more, mix in the Dragon Culantro and let everything rest for a short while to let everything intermingle.

4. Figure it out yourself.

When Yuzuru read till the last step, he looked up at Doctor Ito and saw him smirking.

Damn! I knew that he was not going to be so nice. What am I going to do? After spending around 5 minutes thinking about what he should do about the last step, he realises his lack of time and decided to just do the first few steps first. I will think about it later, let's just hope lady luck is on my side.

On the other hand, Akira was praying silently that Yuzuru will not flunk his test. Please let him make it.

Despite him meeting a few bumps here and there, Yuzuru was making the potion relatively smoothly. One and a half hours had passed and he was already at his third step trying to mix Dragon Culantro into the mixture.

Alright, let it rest and I will be almost done. But I still hadnt figure out what step 4 is. Come on, think Yuzuru think. I am pretty sure Doctor Ito will not come up with a test unreasonably. He must have mentioned it somewhere.

A day ago:

"Doctor Ito, what does this bairnwort do? Why were you so urgent in needing it?" Yuzuru questions after taking the green lavendar smelling plant from the shelve.

"For every potion, bairnwort is a very important ingredient as it finishes the potion off by allowing it to settle. See?" Doctor Ito gave the potion a light shake and the potion turns out to be a nice rose pink coloured liquid.

Back to the present:

Thats it! Bairnwort! Yuzuru rushes to the shelf and obtain a small potion of the bairnwort. After allowing the potion to rest, he added the bairnwort and gave the mixture a final shake. A rose pink liquid is obtained.

"Your time is up." Doctor Ito announced.

"Sensei, here is my completed product." Yuzuru pass the potion to Doctor Ito and awaited his reply.

"Hmm, not bad, I will rate it 60 marks." Doctor Ito said as he examine the potion.

"Come on, Uncle Ito, this potion should at least be worth a good 90 marks." Akira now walking towards Doctor Ito's side.

"Does that mean I passed the trial?" Yuzuru eyes lighten up upon the favourable comments.

"Come to work tomorrow at 8 am sharp. You can have the remaining day to yourself." Doctor Ito replies as he walk into his house.

"Omg, Yuzuru, you got the job! I am so happy for you!" Akira and Yuzuru then shares a hug in excitement.

After realising they have been getting too comfortable with one another, they immediately break the hug. "Sorry, I was too excited. Haha!" Akira then turn her head around in embarrassment. Yuzuru's cheeks flushes a light pink colour.

"Come on, lets celebrate! My treat!" Almost by instinct, Akira then took Yuzuru by the hand to a nearby restaurant. Staring down at both of his hands, his mind blanked out and his already flushed cheeks turned redder, allowing himself to be dragged by the excited girl before him.

On the streets of Glouchester:

"That was nice!" Yuzuru told Akira after they have finished their lunch in the restaurant.

Both of them decided to take a walk on the streets to past time and allow Yuzuru to get more familiar with his surroundings.

"Congratulations on your first job!" Akira congratulates Yuzuru as she place her hands behind her back.

"Thanks but I would not have gotten the job without you. Your letter really encouraged me to pass the trial!" At this point of moment, Akira's cheeks flushes upon hearing Yuzuru's words.

"Oh, I have something for you!" Akira then proceeds to take out a jewel badge and gave it to Yuzuru.

"What is this?" Yuzuru asks as he examine the jewel badge.

"This is a Soulshard. It can be obtained after defeating a monster and transforming its soul into a jewel. The more powerful the defeated monster is, the more power the Soulshard would be. In order to help those normal beings in the land of Icexath to be able to wield magic, normal beings can make use of Soulshards. Soulshards enable them to wield magic. Such magic users are known as mages. They are being ranked from Tier 1 to 5. The more powerful you are, the higher your tier gets. On the other hand, those gifted with magic from birth are known as aristocrats. As mentioned before, only aristocrats are able to become government officials. Their ranking can however go up to tier 10 unlike mages who are only limited to tier 5. However, although the highest tier is tier 10, those of that level still has their magic powers varied across a spectrum." Akira then gave a long explanation for better understanding.

"Wow, that sound complicated. You are giving me this? This soulshard seem valuable. "

"This soulshard is taken from a powerful mystical beast hence it's unique colour. It may be hard to control but I believe you can do it!" Akira gave him a pat in the back as both carry on with their walk on the street.

"Well, if you want, after work, I can teach you how to use magic?" Akira casually ask while silently hoping that he would agree.

"That would be nice." Yuzuru reply as he starts to fiddle with his newly obtained soulshard just like a little kid.

Akira smiles brightly, unable to hide her happiness. I am so glad you agreed.