38. The Alpha's Countdown

Start from the beginning

She has never said so much. Not even when I demanded answers in the heat of my teen years. I think she realizes how similar we are at this point.

"Yours is not a situation like me" she continued as if reading my mind "Your mate didn't know she was supposed to wait for you. She didn't know you belonged to each other. She didn't do anything wrong at least not towards you. There are a lot of wolves whose mates were in a committed relationship when they found them. It mostly happens to those who have human mates. It's not as uncommon as our community would like it to be. Don't hold a grudge son. She is at a very bad place"

"I know"

"And she loves you. We are all guilty of pretending that we didn't see that bit of her because that was convenient at that time. Had we searched for deeper meanings, done more research on it, things would have been different"

"You knew?" I frowned

"We all knew. She's very bad at hiding her emotions for someone who is supposed to have a stone face"

"Do you think her feelings are stronger than mine ma?"

"Why do you say that?" she asked.

"She has more years to count then I do. Do you think I will ever be able to catch up and make her feel like we are at the same intensity?"

"But you loved her in your own way. You protected her, cared for her in ways that you thought was right. Love doesn't always have to be romantic" she smiled "Besides there was just one person who dared to bite a scuff off your wolf's fur and lived to tell the tale. That's saying something"

I rolled my eyes at that "Will you guys ever let it go? She was a kid"

"And you still treat her like a kid. You have no idea how much she hates it"

"I'm not going to do that once she comes back" I promised.

"Oh! The six months deadline" she frowned.

"Four months" I corrected her.

.

.

.
"Don't test my patience" I warned Luc.

"Fine" he fished out his phone from his pocket and handed it over to me.

"She looks happy" I mumbled as I scanned through his photo gallery.

"As if you don't have spies all over to get you her pictures" Luc said stiffly.

"Not with the child, no" I shook my head "She's a beautiful mother. My men are dumb enough to think that the child isn't important"

"She is?"

"Yes. Every aspect of my mate's life is important to me including her motherhood"

"Doesn't that hurt you?" he asked softly.

"It does. It reminds me of how I have to share space in my mate's heart with the human" I sighed "But then I'm glad she has a child to call her own so I wouldn't feel guilty about not being able to give her one. Had this child not been a part of her life, she wouldn't have known motherhood. She's a gift to my mate and I won't belittle her by complaining. This look" I nodded at the picture of Anna smiling down at a wide eyed Hazel in her lap "This will be the only time I see this side of her. She's beautiful"

"You shouldn't put your hopes up" Luc voice was strained "This child, you may not ever get to meet her"

"Tell him I wouldn't take his daughter away from him"

"It's not just about Hazel. He refused to sign the papers yet again. His lawyer says it's too early with Hazel being only two months old and in a way, to the humans it is justified" Luc explained.