19. Priorities & Questions

It was much later into the night that Alex walked in with a sway in his steps. I was just done with making dinner. I made an extravagant one just to make sure I was occupied. I didn't want to be unprepared when he comes back. I wouldn't have answer to his questions if he finds me in a broken state.

"You are drunk" I commented as I took his coat from him.

He scratched the back of his neck sheepishly "Just a little tipsy?" he offered trying to put forward his most pleasant smile.

"Did Luc catch you? Why didn't you inform me?" I knew he didn't drive back drunk so it must have been Luc.

"I did" he frowned "I called you several times but couldn't reach you so I left a text" he walked towards the bedroom to freshen up "No, it was Ethan" he said before disappearing into the washroom.

I halted midway at his words and continued looking at the closed door.

Ethan.

It was Ethan. He knows. He left me with Dan. He stopped Alex from coming home. What else have they done together? He took me to Dan the first time too. He has always known.

Now that I think about it, the accusing glare he gave me when Dan disappeared was because he knew I did that to Dan. But what exactly happened? Where did Dan disappear? What did he do to get that ghastly scar? He didn't tell me where he disappeared or what exactly happened to his house. Although I do have a slight inkling; I can't be sure unless he tells me.

"Wow! A feast" Alex raised a brow as he took the seat opposite to me at the table "What happened?"

I simply smiled at him as I watched him make two plates for us.

"I asked what happened, love" he gave me my plate.

"Huh?" I think I zoned out a bit because when I focused, he was frowning at me.

"Did something happen today? Did someone bother you?" He asked.

"No" I straightened up "Why would you say that?"

"Your stress reliever" he said nodding at the food at the table "So spill"

"I was bored" I told him with a smile, trying to appear brighter than I felt "What did Ethan talk about?"

He gave me a 'I-know-what-you-did-there' look but accepted defeat nevertheless "I bumped into him at the outskirts. He needed a lift. When we got here, he insisted we grab a drink. You know, get to know each other. I thought why not, they are your friends after all"

My heart clenched tighter with each passing moment at the thought of what they could do to Alex. A shiver of fear ran through me. Dan won't do that to Alex will he? He knows I wouldn't ever forgive him if he does. But then, I remember what Luc told me about Autumn. If he could do that for his friend, what will he do when it comes to himself?

"Are you even listening?" Alex's hand on my shoulder shook me out of my thoughts.

"Of course" I smiled.

"Now tell me what happened?" He gave me a pointed look that told me there was no escape. Alex can be stubborn when he wants to. He has this talent of coaxing you into doing what he wants to.

I sighed "I was just missing home"

It wasn't a lie. I miss how everything was before I came here. I had a simple, average life; something I craved all the years before I met Alex. He gave it to me, the life I've always dreamt of. I'm a better person now, a responsible person with a beautiful little family. I'm a wife, a mother.