34. Confession of a liar.

The suitcase fell first, spilling its contents on the doorway with the loudest protest. But the soft thud of the white bouquet that followed next was what made my legs finally give up.

I slumped down on the floor, my eyes fixed on the spilled petals scattered across the floor.

It's over.

It has been over for a long time now. I was blindly trying to hold on to a dream, hiding behind my child, seeking a few more moments of lie.

"I...." Alex fumbled "I don't understand"

I couldn't breathe. I bit the bottom of my lip to stop a whimper from escaping.

"Anna" he called, this time with a little more desperation.

I closed my eyes, now tasting my own blood on my lips.

"I f*cking asked you something, Anna" I jumped a little as he yelled out "Look at me"

I shook my head "I.....I'm....sorry" I whimpered.

"What are you sorry for?" I watched his shoes move closer to me as he walked in with angry steps "Did the bastard do something to you?"

I almost forgot Dan was here too. He was silent all this while. My head snapped to Alex at the accusation. In that instant he stood in front of Dan, his hands rose to pull Dan angrily by his shirt.

"What did he do Anna" he bellowed.

I watched in horror as his free hand fisted up to attack Dan. Dan's calm demur changed too, he gritted his jaws together and I barely had the time to stop him by holding his leg. If he attacks Alex, he could kill him. He looked down at me and I begged silently hoping he got the message. That's when the first punch hit his jaw. He wasn't going to get hurt but Alex would.

"Alex stop" I cried out after the fourth hit. Dan stood there, his hands fisted, his jaws clenched "My fault" I said desperately "It was my fault"

His hand stopped midway. He slowly let Dan go. I saw it in his face, the moment he accepted what he saw.

I stood up to face my biggest fear. I waited for him to look at me and when he did, I didn't look away "I.....what you saw" I breathed "He didn't force me into anything" I realized I was shaking as I stared at the blood in his hand; some Dan's some his own.

"You are lying" he insisted through gritted teeth.

I shook my head, biting the inside of my lip.

His eyes flared he gripped me by my arms and shook me "This is a f*cking prank, isn't it?"

I shook my head again "It's my fault" I said looking at his eyes helplessly "I'm sorry"

"It's not her fault. I did force...."

"Dan please leave" I stopped him without looking away from Alex.

"No" he growled "I'm not leaving you alone. We need to talk...."

I didn't anticipate the hit that Dan received this time and considering how he fell, he didn't either. Alex was on him in no time hitting Dan incessantly. Dan only stared at me as he took Alex's assault. I could see his wolf struggling to rein itself but he made no move to entertain it. I felt weak with every hit. I don't know how long I can convince Dan to hold back so the only option is for him to go away and let me handle the aftermath.

"Hit me back, you bastard" Alex barked "Hit. Me. Back" he said after every punch.

"Alex please talk to me" I put a hand on his shoulder which he shrugged violently without sparing me a glance.