33. A tale in White Roses

Anna:

"I want to see him" I moved away from his embrace, wiping my tears to get a clearer view of Dan's eyes as I spoke "Let him out Dan"

I don't know where I was going with this, what I was doing but I suddenly felt the need to see him. I have to see him. I have to apologize for the pain I caused him, for the endless wait I bestowed upon him, for the decisions I made without his regard.

I watched the initial confusion in his eyes give way to the brightest glint. He opened and closed his mouth trying to form words. This is the first time I'm seeing the effect I have on him and at this moment there is no doubt that he is as vulnerable as me.

"Can I meet him Dan?" I asked softly.

He continued studying me for a long time before finally breaking his silence with two words that needed no explanation "The lake" he answered.

I nodded and he took off after lingering his gaze on me for a couple of more moments.

.

When I walked into the clearing of the lake, he was already there waiting for me. An involuntary smile rose to my lips as I saw this version of Daniel Wood, magnificently large as he was, the happiness in his eyes didn't for a moment let me fear him. His golden brown furs danced in the evening sun and I found myself wondering if they were as soft as they looked.

His patience ran short when he found me rooted to my spot. He strode towards me stopping inches away from me at the edge of the forest.

I found myself falling down on my knees as he took another step closer, now towering over me. I looked up to meet his dark gaze and slowly lifted my arms towards him. He took another step and settled right between my hands. The first touch of his furs was electric, I almost pulled away at the shiver that coursed through me. He snuggled closer in response with a low possessive growl. I smiled.

"Hey" I murmured "Long time no see"

He scrunched his nose.

"I know right?" I agreed with him "We should have met sooner. I'm sorry. It's my fault"

He growled lowly again but made no move. I think Dan's keeping a rein on him.

I ran my hand reassuringly over his fur "You are perfect" I smiled.

He leaned into my palm with a purr as we settled down with a comfortable silence. There was a lot I wanted to tell him, there was a lot to apologize for but the moment that we sat there gazing at the setting sun wordlessly felt like the most natural thing to do.

________

"How are you going to do it?" mom asked

I bite the corner of my lips in nervousness "I don't know"

"You can't say that Anna. Not at crucial situations like this" she scolded sternly.

"Can you for a moment stop hovering over her Jean" dad groaned "You are suffocating her"

"Alex is coming back in three days and she wants to finally tell him when she is in this state" she pointed at my bump "You want me to relax when she doesn't even know what she's going to say"

"Do you want her to prepare a script? Or better do you want to write it for her?" Dad's voice rose a notch "She is an adult stop babying her. You can't face her problems with her. It's her evil to see through. Nothing you do will ease this for her so stop being an added burden to her" He stood up "I'm going to be in the study"