3. Is this what it feels like?

"I heard you last night" I told my mother the next morning as my parents sat me down for 'the talk'

"We realized that" dad replied softly "So we want to talk to you about that sweetheart"

"There's nothing to talk about dad" I glared at mom "Dan doesn't smell that good to me. You guys are wrong"

Mom narrowed her eyes at me. Dad cleared his throat. Mom quickly schooled her expression. "You are too young Anna" she finally started "Things aren't clear to you yet. You don't understand how this works"

"I know how this works" I argued back "Grandpa told me how it's supposed to feel and I feel none of that with Dan"

"You have to understand that that's also because your senses aren't fully developed to take in the subtle hints" dad said "We aren't accusing you. We are really worried for you. We aren't really happy about Dan being around you when you are dealing you with the confusion"

My head snapped to dad "What do you want to do about it" I can't believe dad's saying it "If you aren't happy with him being around me, which he isn't really, what do you plan to do?"

"We realized it's time to train you properly" Mom replied "You'll be an adult with fully developed senses in about three years. We plan on working on that"

"And Dan?" I enquired

"Dan has your essence sweetie" Mom said "You'll have to stay away from him. The more you stay near him the more attached you'll be to him. We need to control it before things get out of hand."

"You don't understand" I sighed looking down "It's not that"

Dad patted my head softly "We'll figure something out" he said.

________

And figure out they did.

It's been three months and they remained true to their words. I've started training with grandpa. He takes me to the vampires meet where lots of kids my age come. They even have classes and useless stuffs like that to train our senses. Well if I really think about it, it's not that useless. My reflexes have sharpened a little. I can feel it when grandpa takes me out to places crowded with humans. I can hear their pulses louder now and I can now see what they mean when they say people have different scents even though I still can't say which scent comes from whom. I still can't go among humans without having my system saturated with blood. Grandpa says it's just the beginning I still have a couple of years. By the time I'm nineteen, I'll catch up to my age and will actually look and feel like a nineteen year old.

It's been three months and I haven't seen a single wolf let alone Dan. They stopped bringing Dan over, not even for business. They visited the pack once and they didn't take me. Even though they made the excuse that it was a purely business meet, I'm not a fool.

The months have been horrible. I feel caged. I go to human school in the morning and then grandpa takes me to the vampire meet at night. I'm not allowed to go out otherwise, not without a bodyguard.

I finally had enough and threw a tantrum. Mom gave in and allowed me to go out when I promised her that Sam will be with me.

Samuel Hunt's the perfect friend custom made for me. Like me, he too has only one-eighth of vampire blood in him so his growth matches mine. Our parents found each other and decided that it will be good for their children to stick together. We go to the same human school. I even forced him to join the night school of the vampires. I didn't want to suffer alone.