32. Flowers and Time-outs

Dan:

I would be lying if I say that I'm as confident as before now that everything's out in the open. It was just my persistence against her resistance before, now there are other people involved. So I have resorted to what I didn't want to do, I've started pressurizing her into submission. Not the noblest thing to do to your own mate but I swear I'll make it up to her in the future.

Back to my recent problems, her mother in particular troubles me. I know what she did to Ray all those years ago until he caved in so her response to this situation isn't sitting well with me. As a woman and as a businessperson, she has never been on the losing side and my side is definitely not the one she's rooting for this time.

So when I get a surprise visit from her at my office, I brace myself and pull up my façade ready to keep a keen eye on her intentions.

"It's a pleasant surprise" I smile politely at her.

"I doubt it is Dan" she replied.

"It sure is" I said "How can I help you, Jean"

"My daughter and my husband are torn into two all thanks to you. There's a lot you can help me with" she said

"I don't think it's all thanks to me" I supplied.

She sighed "Just visit Ray okay. He's sulking my head off"

"Is he okay?" I asked, concerned. This wasn't what I thought the purpose of her visit will be.

"How can he be when the two of you are.......well in this situation?" she replied "Just talk to him"

"I thought....."

"You thought he is with her because she's his blood?" she chuckled "You aren't very different from Anna when it comes to his affection are you? Whiny little kids" she muttered the last part to herself "He's with her because she doesn't have anyone else. You have the entire family supporting you. Anna is lonely Dan. She is alone and vulnerable. I know how bad the journey of waiting for your mate was, we were there to witness it but have you actually tried to see it from her end? She is a heavily pregnant woman with a loving husband and out of nowhere she finds out that the perfect family she dreamt of is no longer possible"

"I can give her that family" I said firmly.

"No you can't" she bit back "You think Alex will let you have his family once he gets the truth?" I rolled my eyes at that. She glared "He might let Anna go without a fight but he wouldn't let his own blood go to another man. Just because he's a good husband doesn't mean he's an easy opponent. The power and influence that you have, he has it too" I opened my mouth to counter her but she held up her hand "You have never hurt a human and you aren't going to start with the person your mate cares about so don't try to fool me. No matter what you tell yourself, you aren't going to make Anna happy Dan. It's not your fault, we know, but this is how it is"

"You think she will be happy without me?" I gritted out.

She sighed again "I didn't want to go there but you leave me with no choice" she leaned forward with an intimidating glare "You are the poison that she has always known will kill her one day" she spat out "But she's an addict. She has always been. Drugs don't make people happy but their absence make them miserable. I tried to shield her from you but now that I look at it, this situation is my fault too. I should have trusted her feelings more. I shouldn't have forced my own experience on her" She sighed "Alex was her rehab. He was her medicine"

"There's no permanent cure to addiction" I said calmly. The anger in me subdued by the pain in her voice

She looked away "I know" she said slowly.