38. The Alpha's Countdown

Dan:

"She is doing well" Ethan poured me a drink.

"And the human?" I asked looking at the glass in distaste.

"You would know if he does something he shouldn't. Give yourself a break"

"We have no time to sit back Beta. Your Luna will soon join us officially. It's time to make preparations" I reminded him.

"Are you sure we aren't rushing things?"

"Are you questioning my capabilities" My wolf pinned him down with a cold glare.

"No Alpha" He lowered his gaze immediately.

"Good" I nodded "We have six months"

.

.

.

"The little one's here" Eric informed hesitantly into the silence of the office.

"I know" I muttered "Is she healthy?"

"Yes. There were no issues as such. The baby is perfectly fine"

"Good" I nodded "Name, bio-data and medical history. Double check it all and put her in our records"

He nodded "Dr. Turner's reporting to dad once he returns. You will have nothing to worry about but..."

"What?"

"She is not a part of Bluewood. Do we need to keep her in our records?" he asked

"We do"

"But..."

"Eric" I closed my eyes in frustration "Just do it for emergencies okay?"

"Okay" he mumbled "What now?"

"five months" I took a deep breath "We wait five months"

.

.

.

"You look happy" mom ran her fingers softly through my hair as I sat at her feet by the sofa.

"I'm excited" I told her.

She smiled "I know. I'm happy that you took her situation into consideration. You are one of the bravest wolf I have ever known and I'm proud of you"

"I think you spoke too soon mom" I leaned into her touch "you don't know of my intentions"

She shook her head "I'm just happy that the baby's here, safe and sound. I thought it will happen again you know. I thought it's a curse. Thank you for lifting a decades old burden off my shoulder"

"How do you do it?" I barely whispered "How do you live with his past every day?"

"I don't know" she took a heavy breath "Sometimes it's easy to forget for months. At other times it pinches me at the back of my mind staying with me as a reminder. And then there are days when something happens and everything comes crashing back. I sometimes suffer in silence at my own shallowness and at some not-so-proud moments I lash out at him wanting to hurt him as much its hurting me. I don't mean anything I say. I know he suffers more than me. But he takes it all. He never complains. Looking into his eyes helps. Knowing that no one could ever love me like he does helps. And at the end of the day, I can't imagine a life without him. I don't know what life would have been without him. A part of me would always have been incomplete. It scares me.....to think of a life like that"