24. The Perfect Night.

There was one thing Dan made clear that day at the hospital, the bond is here to stay. If not forever then at least until the baby is safely detached from me. He had Dr. Turner attest to that.

If I hurt his wolf then he will suffer. When he suffers, I suffer and my pain will affect my child. The baby has a much lower chance of surviving this that Daniel and I might have if we break the bond. Why does she have to have such a cruel fate? Why does she have to suffer for something she has no connection with? My little one hasn't even opened her eyes to the world and she's already bearing the brunt of its cruelty and I, her mother who's supposed to be the one protecting her, am the reason she's in pain. I'm horrible. I'm not what she deserves.

Dan thinks it's about me choosing Alex over him. He couldn't have been more wrong. When I made the choice, I didn't hesitate for a heartbeat and that was because I wasn't choosing between the man I love now and the one I once thought I couldn't do without, I was choosing my child. I'll choose her over any other relationship that ties me in this world and beyond.

I know Dan's in pain and I know I'm the one causing it. I know I'm the villain in his story. It hurts, the thought of it, sometimes so much that I find it hard to breath. I at times wonder if Dan's right about having no way out of this. Can I live with this pain in my chest for the rest of my life?

Even though Dan swears that a mate bond can't ever be totally detached, I know for a fact that there have been others in history that have successfully done just that. How did I get that information, you ask? Well, there's a certain Beta who doesn't seem to be very fond of the idea of his Alpha's connection with me. He has, in a strange way become my ally. Our goals may be different but Ethan and I bonded over the fact that we both agree I'm not good for the Alpha and his pack. You could say, Ethan in a way has started playing a double agent when he realized that I'm too much of a mess to simply wrap up my past and trot behind his brother.

It's been a couple of days since the hospital visit. Alex's on his toes all the time even though I've been doing well. Dan promised he'll try his best to not agitate his wolf once he was assured that I'm not leaving Bluewood, not for another couple of months anyways. I'm not a fool; I know Dan thinks he will find a way to keep me with him once the months are over. I know it's cruel but I let him think he could win. He will try harder if I don't. If he tries harder it will get that much hard for me to concentrate on what I want for him; a mate, a beautiful woman who can love him for the wonderful man that he is. He will learn to love. He will have a complete family, a loving wife and beautiful children to come home to and his people will have a Luna, who they have so long been deprived of.

It took us a couple of awkward conversations to come to terms with this idea but Ethan and I have finally decided that it's the best way of breaking the bond. Ethan found out that since I don't have a wolf, when Dan marks another person the connection I have with him will cease to exist. Ethan says he is looking for prospective Lunas but we will have to be discrete about it. Dan will probably kill us if he finds out.

________

It's Sunday and after days of curfew Alex finally thinks it's safe for me to go out. He's taking me to the surprise that was initially planned for both the baby and me. He has decided to go easy on me but I'm still gearing up for a mini heart attack.

"I'm so excited" Alex said for the sixth time this morning as he drove us to the 'surprise'.

"On a scale of one to ten, how excited are you exactly?" I asked warily.

He glanced at me for a moment before turning back to the road "Like a hundred?" he offered.

"Oh boy" I muttered.