7. Her farewell gift

"That's because I'm in love with you" I said, not taking my eyes off his face.

I wasn't nervous anymore. I wasn't awkward. For once in my life, I didn't want to belittle my love; I didn't want to think that it was wrong. No, if loving him was wrong, it wouldn't have happened, would it? For the first time since I realized that I loved him, I didn't feel guilty. So I met his gaze steadily.

I had nothing to lose. He wasn't mine anyways. I was just here to give myself a closure.

"How's that a reas......" He started but stopped abruptly, his brows furrowed together "What?"

"I don't hate you. I can't hate you even if I tried because I love you. I've always loved you" I smiled humorlessly "So much that I have started hating myself for it" I gritted out trying hard to contain the tears threatening to spill out.

He gasped before taking a step back "I....I....." he ran his hand over his face probably to make sense of things. I stood there silently as he opened and closed his mouth. I could see his mind racing from one thought to another.

He looked at me abruptly "Of course" he sighed in relief. I raised a brow in question "Everyone has that one crush you know. I had a crush on my Spanish teacher in middle school"

I closed my eyes to contain the sudden anger in me. He could have kicked my love away and I wouldn't have been this hurt. But he was belittling it.

I opened my eyes and looked at him "I love you" I said without hesitation.

He shook his head "Look" he tried to explain like one would do to a difficult child "I know we haven't had the most conventional relationship and you took it as a challenge and...."

"I love you" I repeated firmly.

He gritted his jaws together "Will you stop saying that?" he growled "I'm trying...." he shook his head and sighed.

"I'll stop saying that once you start believing it" I replied

"And what changes if I believe?" He demanded angrily

"Nothing" I bit my bottom lip "I still need you to believe"

"Stop crying" he gritted in frustration and then groaned "Look ki_ Reanna, I didn't mean to frighten you okay. Calm down. It's...just...just so abrupt. I don't think I know how to deal with this. I never thought...I mean expec....Goddess! What am I even saying?" he muttered the last bit to himself.

I wiped my tears away "You don't have to do anything" I cleared my throat. If I want him to see me as an adult I have to behave like one "It's my problem. I'll deal with it. I'll not bother you"

"You aren't a bother Reanna" he said softly "It's my duty to look after you"

That angered me. His calmness hit my nerves. His indifference hurts. I want to unnerve him.

"Why? Because you owe my father?" I asked venomously.

"No" he shook his head "Because I care about you. Because I decided it the moment I first looked at you that I was going to protect you. Because you are special. Because you are you"

My stomach clenched and I held my breath at his words. What does that even mean?

My eyes must have turned hopeful because the next instant he said "Whatever this phase is, you'll get over it" he assured.

"I'll take care of it" I repeated.

"What do you want me to do?" he asked.

I looked at his eager face, he wanted to help "I don't want to see you ever again" I requested.